Marriott International plans to expand its select service portfolio in Greater China with the addition of 30 hotels in the region by the end of next year.
The group says that the openings are “fuelled by the strong demand” and that these will “elevate consumers’ travel choices in China’s second- and third-tier cities, such as Foshan and Changchun, while expanding its presence in first-tier cities like Shanghai”.
Gavin Yu, chief development officer, Greater China, Marriott International, commented:
“Representing over 50 per cent of Marriott International hotels expected to open in Greater China across 2022 and 2023, our select-service brand portfolio is a growth engine for the company as we continue to expand.
“With a well-defined ‘Brand + Destination’ development strategy, we see great growth potential in providing approachable and moderately-priced choices across emerging destinations. We plan to continue to work with our owners and franchisees to enhance our select-service brands portfolio through new-builds and conversions in destinations where our guests aspire to travel.”
The openings include:
- The debut of AC Hotels by Marriott in Suzhou in December 2022
- The debut of Moxy Hotels in Suzhou, Chongqing and Ningbo, joining its existing five properties in Chinese cities such as Shanghai and Shenzhen.
- Fairfield by Marriott will see ten additional properties next year, following the opening of the brand’s 150th hotel in Greater China — Fairfield by Marriott Hangzhou Xihu District — earlier this year. Destinations will include county-level cities Kunshan and Zhuji among other cities.
- The Courtyard by Marriott brand expects to celebrate its 50th hotel milestone in the Chinese market in the middle of 2023, with anticipated property additions in Chongli, the location for skiing events during the 2022 Winter Olympics, as well as in Jiuzhaigou, a nature reserve designated by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.
- Four Points by Sheraton expects to accelerate its growth in Greater China with over five planned openings in 2023.
- Aloft Hotels is set to expand its footprint in 2023 with two hotel openings in Beijing and Yantai.
- Finally, the group plans to open a property under the Element Hotels brand in Guangzhou Baiyun in 2023.
The company says that it will focus on dual-brand projects and its franchise-plus model in its expansion across Greater China. In 2022, the company signed six dual-brand hotel projects representing 14 hotels, three of which are under the Fairfield by Marriott brand and two under the Four Points by Sheraton brand.
Marriott has over 460 properties across 23 brands in 120 cities and destinations in Greater China. This includes properties under the following select service brands in 67 cities across Greater China: Moxy Hotels, Fairfield by Marriott, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft Hotels, and Element Hotels.
Earlier this year the company announced plans to open 14 additional luxury properties in Asia Pacific by the end of 2023.