United Airlines has announced what it says will be “the largest transatlantic expansion in its history” next year, with ten new routes and five brand new destinations.
From spring 2022 United will become the only North American carrier to offer flights to Amman (thrice weekly from May 5), Ponta Delgada in the Azores (daily from May 13), Bergen in Norway (thrice weekly from May 20), Palma de Mallorca (thrice weekly from June 2), and Tenerife (thrice weekly from June 9).
Amman will be served from Washington DC, with the other four destinations gaining flights from New York’s Newark.
In addition United will add five new routes / frequencies to cities already served by the carrier, as follows:
- New daily flights between Denver and Munich, joining the carrier’s existing services from the US city to Frankfurt and London (which are expected to resume in March 2022)
- New daily flights between Chicago and Milan, joining existing seasonal services between Chicago and Rome
- New daily flights between Washington DC and Berlin, joining existing services to the German capital from Newark
- Additional daily flights from Newark to Dublin and Rome
Finally the carrier will resume / add frequencies to routes to Bangalore, Frankfurt, Tokyo Haneda, Nice and Zurich – all destinations which were suspended due to Covid-19 – as follows:
- Daily flights between San Francisco and Bangalore will start on May 26
- Daily flights between Newark and Nice will start on April 29
- A second daily flight between Newark and Frankfurt will start on April 23
- Daily flights between Chicago and Zurich will start on April 23
- Flights from Washington DC, Los Angeles and Newark to Tokyo Haneda will start “by March 26”
However simpleflying.com reports that routes from Newark to Glasgow and Manchester, and from San Francisco to Dublin, will not resume.
Commenting on the news Patrick Quayle, senior vice president of international network and alliances at United, said:
“Given our big expectations for a rebound in travel to Europe for summer, this is the right time to leverage our leading global network in new, exciting ways.
“Our expansion offers the widest range of destinations to discover – introducing new, trendy locales that our customers will love, as well as adding more flights to iconic, popular cities.”