British low-cost leisure carrier Jet 2 said that it had seen “a dramatic and continued surge in bookings” following this week’s government announcement of an exit roadmap from lockdown.
The group said that data from jet2.com and Jet 2 Holidays had shown an increase of over 1,000 per cent in bookings for summer 2021 in the 24 hours following the announcement.
It add that bookings were “continuing to surge for destinations across the board including Mainland Spain, Canary Islands, Balearic Islands, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus and Turkey”, with a notable increase from July onwards.
In light of the government’s announcement that international travel will not resume until May 17 “at the earliest”, Jet 2 has further suspended all flights and holidays until this date. The group had previously suspended operations until March 25.
“We have seen enormous pent-up demand from British holidaymakers for some time, with people wanting nothing more than to get away to the sunshine and enjoy their well-deserved holidays, said Steve Heapy, CEO of jet2.com and Jet 2 Holidays.
“The government’s announcement is the news they have been longing for, and the continued surge in bookings shows how ready our customers are to get away to the sunshine on a real package holiday.”
“We are very pleased that the government has shown a clear ambition to reopen international travel in the coming months, and we look forward to more detail in due course. Throughout the pandemic, we have done absolutely everything to look after our valued customers and we have always said that the sun will shine for them once again.
“We know what an incredibly difficult time it has been for everyone, and we very much look forward to taking everyone from our rainy islands to their dream holiday choice this summer and beyond.”
The group has a total of 56 “hotspots and leisure city destinations” on sale across for summer 2021, and also recently launched its summer 2022 programme, with 339 routes from its ten UK bases.