The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India has issued fresh SOPs on preventive measures that need to be followed in hotels and hospitality units; malls and restaurants for a safe and hygienic environment.
Physical distancing, installation and use of Aarogya Setu app; self-monitoring of health and respiratory etiquettes are few common measures that will be practised across all platforms.
Hotels and hospitality units:
- Entrance to have a mandatory sanitiser dispenser and thermal screening facility.
- Guests should provide details on their travel history, medical condition etc along with ID and self-declaration form at the reception.
- All staff and guests to be allowed entry only if they are using face cover/masks that need to be worn at all times inside the hotel.
- Preferably separate entry and exits for guests, staff and goods/supplies. Maintain physical distancing of a minimum of six feet, when queuing up for entry and inside the hotel as far as feasible.
- Disposable menus are advised to be used at the restaurants. Instead of cloth napkins, use of good quality disposable paper napkins should be considered and contactless mode of ordering and digital mode of payment need to be encouraged.
- Room service or takeaways to be encouraged, instead of dine-in. Food delivery personnel should leave the packet at the guest’s door.
- Cleaning and regular disinfection of frequently touched surfaces (doorknobs, elevator buttons, handrails, benches, washroom fixtures) to be made mandatory in all guest service area and common areas. Detailed SOP.
As per the latest guidelines by the Indian government, restaurants in containment zones will remain closed. Only those outside containment zones will be allowed to open up from June 8.
- Restaurant staff and patrons will have to strictly use face covers and masks; maintain social distancing; self-monitor their health and report any illness at the earliest to state and district helpline.
- Restaurants are advised to ensure that the staff for home deliveries are screened thermally; entrance to have a mandatory sanitiser dispenser and thermal screening provisions; seating arrangement to be made in such a way that adequate social distancing is maintained.
- Restaurants are asked to encourage the contactless mode of ordering and digital mode of payment.
- Not more than 50 per cent seating to be permitted inside any restaurants. Detailed SOP
- Posters/standees/audiovisual media content on preventive measures about Covid-19 to be displayed prominently.
- Proper crowd management in the parking lots and outside the premises.
- The number of people in the elevators shall be restricted. Use of escalators with one person on alternate steps may be encouraged.
- Large gatherings/congregations continue to remain prohibited.
- Gaming arcades and children play areas shall remain closed.
- Cinema halls inside shopping malls to remain shut. Detailed SOP
In case of a suspect or confirmed case, the hotels, restaurants and shopping malls need to do the following:
- Place the ill person in a room or in an isolated area.
- Provide them with a mask/face cover until he/she is examined by a doctor.
- Inform the nearest medical facility or call the state or district helpline.
- A risk assessment will be undertaken by the designated public health authority and accordingly further action be initiated regarding the management of the case, his/her contacts and need for disinfection.
- Disinfection of the premises to be taken up if the person is found positive.