UAE residents stranded abroad can return to the country starting from June 1, 2020.
Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship (ICA) has asked those holding valid residence visas and wishing to return to the UAE to register on ‘Residents’ Entry Permit’ service on smartservices.ica.gov.ae.
As per the report in Khaleej Times, steps for registration are:
- Documents required: colour photo, copy of residency, passport copy, proof for visit abroad (this can be a letter from the workplace, education institution or flight ticket if the reason was tourism).
- Visit the smartservices.ica.gov.ae homepage.
- Scroll down to the last option on the list of smart services: Other Services- Residents outside UAE- Entry Permission- Issue
- Click on ‘start service’.
- Fill the e-form, attach documents, review the application and submit.
Note: Do not book your travel tickets unless you obtain the approval of this application.
Earlier, residents had to register on Twajudi, a service by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (MoFAIC) facilitating communication with citizens in case of crises and emergency in order to coordinate their return to the country.
In a joint statement, MoFAIC and ICA said that “the decision stems from the UAE’s keenness to enable those holding valid residence visas to get reunited with their families after having been affected by the precautionary measures taken under the current exceptional circumstances to contain the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic.
“The move is aimed at streamlining their safe return to the UAE.”