Intercontinental Hotels Group (IHG) has announced enhanced cleaning measures in response to the Covid-19 pandemic including a new ‘Clean Promise’.
Its internal programme which will allow for this promise to be met is called ‘Way of Clean’. This was first introduced in 2015, but is now being ‘enhanced’, the group said.
Developed with Ecolab and Diversey, the programme has been expanded with additional COVID-19 protocols and best practices to reflect the advice of the World Health Organization, Centers for Disease Control & Prevention and local public health authorities in markets around the world.
IHG Way of Clean already included deep cleaning with hospital-grade disinfectants. The new ‘evolved procedures…may include’:
- Reception: Reduced contact at check-in, touchless transactions, front-desk screens, sanitiser stations, sanitised key cards, paperless checkout
- Guest Room: Visible verification of sanitised items (e.g., glassware, remote control), reduction of in-room furnishings/high-touch items, new laundry protocols, use of new technology
- Public Spaces and Facilities: Additional deep cleaning of high-touch surfaces, social distancing, “last cleaned” charts, best practices for pools, fitness centres and lounges
- Food & Beverage: New standards and service approach to buffets, banquets, room service and catering.
On the knowledge side, IHG is working closely with a team of medical experts at the Cleveland Clinic to develop guidance and resources for hotel teams on returning to work and keeping guests safe in this new environment, which may include:
- Cleanliness information in hotels and on IHG’s booking channels
- Social distancing operating procedures and signage
- Guidance on the use of protective equipment as necessary by hotel colleagues
- Updated colleague training and certification
- Availability of individual guest amenity cleaning kits
- Hand sanitiser and disinfecting wipes available in guest rooms and at high-touch points throughout hotels.
With these updated measures in place, IHG is launching a Clean Promise. Rolling out globally from 1 June 2020, it reassures guests “…that their room will meet IHG’s high standards of cleanliness. If not, the hotel will make it right”
Leading this work is IHG’s new Global Cleanliness Board, a group of IHG experts in operations, health, safety and guest experience, working with our new external specialists, including James Merlino, Chief Clinical Transformation Officer at Cleveland Clinic, to define solutions, best practice and implement processes.
While on-property, hotel teams will also appoint Clean Champions to continue building the culture of clean instilled in IHG hotels around the world. These champions will focus on guests and colleagues as they navigate the new environment and help on-property teams to consistently deliver the new cleanliness standards.