Virgin Australia said it will cancel its Sydney-Hong Kong service from March 2 due to a decline in market demand.
“Hong Kong has continued to be a challenging market. With a decline in demand following ongoing civil unrest, and growing concerns over the coronavirus outbreak in the wider region, we have made the decision to withdraw services,” said Virgin Australia Group chief commercial officer, John MacLeod.
“Current circumstances demonstrate that Hong Kong is no longer a commercially viable route for Virgin Australia to continue operating,” he added.
Last year in November, the airline said it would axe its Melbourne-Hong Kong service from February 11. With the additional cancellation of the Sydney-Hong Kong route, the airline will no longer be flying to and from Hong Kong.
The airline said it will contact guests booked to travel on services between Sydney and Hong Kong from March 2, 2020 onwards via email – or their travel provider will contact them – to provide alternative arrangements.
On Tuesday, United Airlines said that it will suspend all flights to and from Hong Kong due to a “continued drop in demand”. The move follows American Airlines’ decision to cancel its flights to Hong Kong.
A growing list of carriers have suspended or trimmed their mainland China routes due to dwindling demand in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.
Have your travel plans been affected by the coronavirus outbreak? Let us know in the comments sections below.