Almost two months after the deadly Easter bombings, Sri Lanka is now trying to regain its position as a major tourist hub in South Asia. The tourism board has announced a range of new promotional campaigns that focusses on attracting visitors from Sri Lanka’s largest source market, India.
Additionally, the recent visit by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the island nation also hints at a promising tourist inflow between the two regions. Besides, hospitality service providers like Airbnb, that have a strong presence in Sri Lanka, are also taking efforts in boosting tourism.
Here are few reasons by Airbnb on why Sri Lanka should be on the top of your bucket list while planning your next getaway:
- If wildlife sighting is on your mind, then explore Singharaja Forest Reserve, an ideal spot for nature enthusiast or visit the Yala National Park Leopard Safari where you may see the Sri Lankan sloth bear.
- For those looking for an offbeat vacation experience in Sri Lanka, there is the Ella village featuring lush greenery, beautiful tea estates and waterfalls among others. Here one can stay in Dutch house or can book a rustic cabin to be close to nature.
- Enjoy fine Lankan cuisine at Ministry of Crab or Dutch Burgher Union. You can also book Airbnb’s The Curious Foodie – Colombo food tour, which gives you a sneak peek into the rich heritage of the cuisine.
- Sri Lanka’s pristine beaches are recognised as some of the best in the world. So, travellers can spend time relaxing by the beach at stunning beach houses and can choose from a host of zen activities like meditation and yoga to relieve work-life stress.
- Take a tour of Galle city that houses Dutch-colonial buildings, ancient mosques, churches, grand mansions and museums.
- If you are an adventure junkie, then Sri Lanka is the place to be. From surfing to biking, hiking and cliff jumping, the country has it all.
- For a one-of-a-kind experience, head to Mirissa, a small fishing town on the coast of Sri Lanka to spot blue whales, bottlenose and spinner dolphins.
- History buffs can discover ancient ruins in Polonnaruwa or hike through at Adam’s Peak or visit the Golden Temple of Dambulla.