Hong Kong Airlines rolled out a new business class menu on Friday March 22 that will be available exclusively to passengers travelling on flights departing Los Angeles.
Designed by celebrity chef Chris Cosentino, the new Los Angeles menus have been described as an “adaptation” of the airline’s menus on its San Francisco service, which were also created by the American chef. Cosentino is chef and owner of San Francisco restaurant, Cockscomb.
Speaking about the new menus, Hong Kong Airlines’ director of service delivery, Chris Birt, said “We launched our menu partnership with Chef Cosentino exactly a year ago on our San Francisco route. His menu has proven to be such a hit with our business class customers that we are excited to now bring his signature innovative and creative cuisine to those flying with us from Los Angeles.”
Business class passengers flying out of Los Angeles will be offered a three-course menu, comprising an appetiser, main and dessert.
Here is the full list of choices:
- Charred avocado and shrimp Louie salad
- Kohlrabi Caesar salad with shrimp, parmesan and sourdough croutons
- Pate de campagne with cornichons, radish and mustard
- Marinated Monterey Bay sardines with cauliflower, raisins and capers
- Chicken piri piri with Piquillo pepper, potatoes, Castelvetrano olives and oregano
- Red wine braised beef short rib with white bean puree, fennel al forno, pickled peppers and confit garlic
- Alaskan cod with gigante beans with broccoli rabe salsa verde
- Slow-roasted lamb neck with creamy polenta roasted carrots and Ararat spice
- Chocolate cremaux with fennel pollen shortbread cookies
- Panna cotta and strawberries in balsamic vinegar sauce
- Ginger dates sticky toffee cake topped with whipped cream and dried sugar dates
- Poached pear in red wine sauce with crème fraiche and lemon thyme
Business class passengers will also be getting a new wine list to accompany the refreshed menus. These fittingly include a Californian wine – Canyon Road Cabernet Sauvignon – but also feature Lake Chalice “The Nest” Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand, along with J Moreau & Fils Chardonnay and Merlon Cabernet Sauvignon from France.
Hong Kong Airlines launched its Los Angeles service in December 2017 – the carrier’s first US non-stop destination. It is operated by one of the airline’s new-configuration Airbus A350-900s, which feature Hong Kong Airlines’ latest “Super Diamond” fully flat business class seat product from Rockwell Collins (pictured below).
These seats differ from those offered on the airline’s older A350s, though both are laid out in a 1-2-1 configuration that provides direct access to the aisle. The Super Diamond seats are also laid out in a reverse herringbone formation as opposed to a forward-facing set up.
The measurements aren’t greatly different between the two products, though there are an extra two inches in length and three in width with the new seat once the fully flat bed has been extended, for a total of 78 x 26 inches.
Elsewhere on the food and beverage front, Hong Kong Airlines recently revamped its economy class menu for flights departing Hong Kong, which now include a range of locally inspired dishes inspired by the city’s cha chaan teng (tea restaurants).