Malaysia Airlines has rebranded its first class cabins as a premium business class service, though no major changes are being made to the product.
From December 12, the first class cabins on its A350-900 and A380-800s will be called Business Suite. The seats are available on the airline’s London, Tokyo and Osaka routes, and on the Sydney and Seoul routes during the winter season.
Malaysia said Business Suite would be sold “at an attractive price point for passengers” in response to high business traveller demand, with corporate policy often restricting the use of first class.
The suites are in a 1-2-1 formation. The A350 has four seats with a retractable privacy door while the A380 has eight open suites.
Passengers will still get a dedicated check-in counter, access to the airline’s premium First Class Lounge and a 50KG baggage allowance.
Beyond that, the airline has confirmed there will be no changes to the seats, service, food and drink or entertainment options.
A spokesperson told Business Traveller that passengers who booked first class tickets for flights after December 12 will be offered a refund based on the fare difference and can claim a full refund if they not want to travel on Business Suite.
Group CEO Izham Ismail commented: “The new Business Suite was introduced in response to the growing demand of our guests.
“Our target is to enable the frequent flyer, looking for enhanced comfort, to now be able to enjoy a premium experience at competitive prices. We are confident that our new Business Suite will change the way people travel in business class.”
The seat details are:
Business Suite on A350-900
- 1-2-1 seat formation with direct aisle access
- Total of four seats with enclosed monument and retractable privacy door (two individual seats and two double seats)
- Seat pitch of 83 inches and width of 23 inches
- Full-flat bed length of 83 inches
- Capacitive seat control offering personalised lounge position, independent adjustable leg rest, and massage and lumbar system
- Individual 24-inch IFE with capacitive touchscreen and multi-touch gesture, video handset, widescreen, High-Definition clarity (1080p) with LED backlighting
- Each seat comes with meal and cocktail table, feature light, vanity mirror, console stowage and magazine rack
Business Suite on A380-800
- Located on the main deck with 1-2-1 seat formation
- Total of eight seats with enclosed monument (four individual seats and four double seats)
- Seat pitch of 89 inches and bed width of 40 inches
- Full flat-bed length of 87 inches
- Individual 23-inch IFE screen with widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9
- Each seat comes with its personal closet and stowage for coat, luggage, laptop and personal belongings