Hong Kong Airlines has launched a new BOC Hong Kong Airlines Visa Card in partnership with Bank of China and Visa that provides cardholders with a range of benefits, notably lounge access and preferential mileage earning and redemption rates.
There are two iterations of the card – Visa Platinum and Visa Signature. Cardholders are automatically enrolled in the airline’s frequent flyer programme Fortune Wings Club (FWC), and can earn one FWC point for as low as HK$3 (US$0.38) when using the card for overseas or online transactions.
Moreover, cardholders are able to enjoy complimentary access five times per year to the two Hong Kong Airlines lounges at Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA), Club Autus and Club Bauhinia. A maximum of four other companions travelling on any Hong Kong Airlines flights are also permitted entry each time.
Business Traveller has previously reviewed both of Hong Kong Airlines’ lounges at HKIA.
The main benefits for Visa Signature cardholders are:
- One FWC point earned for every HK$3 spent on overseas or online transactions (HK$4 for Visa Platinum cardholders)
- One FWC point earned for every HK$5 (US$0.6) spent on local transactions (HK$6 for Visa Platinum cardholders)
- Eligibility to join Hong Kong Airlines’ “Accelerate” programme offering travel perks and boosted progress to higher FWC tiers, along with a range of privileges including unlimited free access to Club Autus and Club Bauhinia every year
- 50 per cent discount when using FWC points to redeem upgrades to business class on long-haul flights
- 50 per cent discount when using FWC points to redeem award tickets
- Bonus FWC points when purchasing air tickets on the Hong Kong Airlines website or mobile app
A welcome offer is also in effect, which allows new cardholders to accrue up to 360,000 bonus FWC points – enough to redeem eight return business class tickets to Japan.
Other key benefits include:
- A 5 per cent discount on in-flight duty free purchases over HK$1,000 (US$128) in a single transaction
- Discounts on designated products on e-commerce platform KKday
This is not the first time Hong Kong Airlines has launched a co-branded credit card. In 2011, Hong Kong Airlines and ICBC (Asia) joined hands to launch ICBC Hong Kong Airlines Visa Platinum Card, whose privileges include emergency medical protection in Mainland China; and in 2016, partnered with CCB (Asia) to issue CCB (Asia) Hong Kong Airlines Fly Away Credit Card.
More details of the new credit card can be found here.