Delta is to offer free meals to Main Cabin (economy) passengers on some of its longest domestic routes from next month.
From March 1 the carrier will provide complimentary meals to economy customers on flights from New York JFK to Los Angeles and San Francisco.
These will then be joined by the following routes from April 24:
- Boston Logan International – San Francisco
- Boston Logan International – Los Angeles International
- Boston Logan International – Seattle Tacoma International
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport – Los Angeles International
- New York JFK – Portland International
- New York JFK – San Diego International
- New York JFK – Seattle Tacoma International
- Seattle Tacoma International – Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International
- Seattle Tacoma International – Orlando International
- Seattle Tacoma International – Raleigh Durham International
Passengers will be offered “a variety of options” depending on the time of day, including:
- a honey maple breakfast sandwich, Luvo breakfast medley or fruit and cheese plate for breakfast
- a Mesquite-smoked turkey combo, Luvo Mediterranean whole grain veggie wrap, or fruit and cheese plate during the day
- a breakfast bar during the pre-arrival beverage service on overnight flights
Delta Comfort + passengers will be offered the same meals as above, as well as a pre-arrival snack basket, complimentary alcoholic drinks, and a mid-service Greek frozen yoghurt (on flights from New York JFK to Los Angeles and San Francisco).
Delta says it will be the only US carrier “to offer complimentary fresh meals from nose to tail on select coast-to-coast routes”.
The carrier says that the changes follow tests conducted late last year, “where the airline closely monitored customer satisfaction scores to determine the impact on the in-flight experience and saw a significant increase as a result of the test”.
Commenting on the move Allison Ausband, Delta’s senior vice president – in-flight service said:
“We are all about making our Main Cabin experience the best it can be for our customers and offering free, high quality meals is a big part of that experience.
“When we tested this concept, our customers loved it and appreciated it so we are implementing in our most strategic markets.”