Zanzibar hotels – any recommendations?

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• peter19
    Participant

I’m looking to draw some experience from forum members to recommend any Zanzibar hotels/Accommodation?

This is less business but more a downtime/leisure request but I hope some of you have had experience from your extensive traveling.
    I am looking for 5 star, higher end hotel/accommodation but aside from this there is no direct requirement apart from good food and overall experience – at the moment!
    cheers

Charles-P
    Participant

We stayed at the DoubleTree by Hilton last year, right on the beach. Not really a business hotel but wonderful to stay at.

Stowage222
    Participant

peter- all the top tourist hotels are mainly Italian run and can be found along the East coast of the Island. I’ve stayed a couple of times in the Tembo hotel which is right on the beach in Stone Town and has a lot of history. When I was there in the late 1990’s it was a dry hotel (the only disappointment for me) but it gives you a real feel for the Island. Definitely not ‘high end’ but more authentic!

Simon
    Participant

Head to the east coast. At the top end, somewhere like Xanadu Villas is exceptional.
    Also very good are The Palms, Zanzibar, Breezes and also Baraza. Smaller, more intimate places, not massive chain resorts.

peter19
    Participant

Charles-P, Stowage222 and Simon thanks for the suggestions. I have had a look at some of those very briefly and I will in more detail over the weekend. Simon, some of those look fantastic and exactly what we are after style wise although the cost was pretty up there on some. It’s for our honeymoon so it needs to be special but this is the relaxing part/week after a safari so I’m also trying to find the balance.

sandtrekker
    Participant

peter – try the Zanzibar Serena Hotel. Great location and be sure to head to the nearby Forodhoni Gardens in the evening where you have a large variety of market stalls selling barbecued fish and veg and all kinds of fruit juices. Also, an evening cruise on a dhow is a lot of fun.

stainforth
    Participant

Hi
    I stayed at Dreams of Zanzibar, good food , place to relax as well as business center

peter19
    Participant

some more good suggestions – thank you. has anybody stayed in the white sands?

Andy
    Participant

Hideaway of Nungwi – http://www.hideawaynungwi.com/en/ – have stayed there three times now. Excellent, high quality all-inclusive with very nice sparkling wine and wine in general. Great food, especially the seafood, naturally! 🙂 About an hour’s drive from Stone Town.

rodders
    Participant

hi
    We spent a couple of days at the Park Hyatt in Stonetown in February and then a few days at the Residence, both were excellent and can highly recommend, enjoy.

rodders
    Participant

oh, also try Emerson Spice for dinner, you need to book but a great experience, this is in Stonetown.
    Cheers

peter19
    Participant

Andy and Rodders thanks for the suggestions. I have noted the hideaway and also have come across the Residence. The residence has come up a few times and one of the travel company’s preferred selections but I was not sure from the web and reviews how it was so its good to know these are recommend options.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls