Willie Walsh’s Best Ever Year as IAG Crowned FTSE’s Top Performer

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)

• BigDog.
    Participant

FDOS will insurance cover just the repairs to the building and aircraft but also the (wet?) leasing, fines/charges, compensation and expenses? As Martyn suggests many large companies self-insure except for catastrophe.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Don’t know, BigDog. Bit past my experience, that one 🙂

EU261/2004 compo for 182 pax would be over €100,000, alone, plus meals and hotac.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

BA have the option of a “botch and scarper” repair from stock moth balled in the desert..

Tried looking on ebay for the price of a new or used second hand 747-400 wing or part thereof… couldn’t find

The building destroyed will be an interesting discussion if BA lay partial blame on the airport authorities…

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

I wonder how realistic it is to reactivate an airframe, especially if they have used them as a source of spares for the fleet?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

as long as it has a certificate – and its within “hours” – its good to go…

Anyone have any idea re the cost of a spare wing, new or used?

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Martyn

Why do you think BA could blame the airport authorities?

It seems to me that there is a high probability that the clearance was ‘via B to 03L’, whereas the aircraft entered M uncleared. And M was promulgated with a warning on the aerodrome chart.

Interested in your reasoning.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Depending on the actual cause, BA could blame the airport authorities for anything from poor lighting, to poor signage to a multitude of things that highly paid thugs…, I mean lawyers are paid to find…

Even simple errors, have third party causes… BA will surely argue..

BigDog.
    Participant

Unless those causes happened just prior to the BA incident, if they go down that route Martyn they will have to explain how every other airline’s pilots managed to do it right yet BA’s get it wrong!

canucklad
    Participant

LP attached a good link .

On the airfield chart it clearly states under the heading “Caution/Restriction”

1.ACFT to exercise caution when taxiing on TWY B southbound to THR RWY 03L due to Apron taxi lane M extending from TWY B in a Southerly direction

I would imagine that the South African authorities just have to point this warning out and any counter claims by BA probably won’t stand up.
    Again I’m not an expert but is it not the responsibility of the crew to be aware of these restrictions and more importantly their implications of deviation.

And the big question in the room, 3 on the flight deck..I’m assuming all were JNB virgins.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Indeed they will – that’s why corporate lawyers get paid the fees & salaries they do……..

I make no claims about the cause, repair bill, fault etc – but all I do know is that anyone in this position is very unlikely to roll over to have their tummy tickled….

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

If they did exceed the limitations of a clearance, though, that’s going to be difficult to argue, methinks. If.

If you don’t know you’ve exceeded a clearance, it sounds like a breakdown in SA and ultimately the PIC is responsible for not hitting things – as you know at LHR, some taxi clearances are conditional on taking responsibility for avoiding others, even when ‘following the greens.’

stevescoots
    Participant

oh for the love of god…………..is it a slow news day?

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

It’s quite interesting for people who hold pilot’s licences, Steve.

christopheL
    Participant

@SergeantMajor 13:51
    ”What happened to Air France’s share price after this incident”

I am mostly impressed that finaly Air France can be seen as a benchmark to BA. What an unexpected Christmas present ! I will open a magnum of vintage Krug to celebrate the beginning of a new area.

Merry Christmas to all of you

LuganoPirate
    Participant

This won’t make much difference to the share price. Accidents rarely do thanks to insurance and any self risk BA have will have been budgeted for.

ACSA are pointing the finger squarely at BA on this one and BA have little wriggle room. I don’t know how many heavies have taken off from that one runway and not one has collided with that building while taxiing. At least building repairs are relatively cheap though I expect they’ll use some excuse to pull it all down and rebuild. Think around £400 a square metre to get an idea of the cost.

Looking at the photos, I don’t think the wing is that badly damaged, believe it or not. Hard to say but I think it’s easily repairable.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls