Who serves the best wine in first and business?

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

The annual tastings for our Cellars in the Sky Awards begins tomorrow!

This year 33 airlines have entered and our panel of esteemed wine critics will be deciding who serves the best sparkling, red, white and sweet/port wine across the premium cabins.

For news updates, photos and video clips, Like our Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/BTUKCellarsInTheSky

In the meantime, which airlines do you think serve the best wine?

RichHI1
    Participant

Well AA always claim that their forte but my votes would go to JAL and ANA in First.

EruditeSheep
    Participant

I have always found that Air New Zealand serve some wonderful wines in business class. They showcase wines from New Zealand, and complement these by providing a very useful wine guide, with tasting notes that also serve to illustrate the passion of their wine-producers. So you will find some superb examples of wine on-board ranging from premium innovative reds (eg Matariki Syrah) to Marlborough Pinot Noir and Sauvignon Blanc. You will even find some luscious botrytised Reislings to complement dessert. All highly recommended!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I rarely drink on board but do study the wine lists. For me it’s Swiss. Apart from the very good French and Italian wines, they also serve wine from some of the small, but excellent Swiss producers such as Brivio in Mendrisio, south of Lugano.

Mrs. LP is into all things Qatar these days, so for her the best wine cellars in the air are Qatar’s.

LeTigre
    Participant

Ha, LuganoPirate, I can see Mrs LP is very much “the neck that turns the head”!

She does have very good taste though.

Scandinavian
    Participant

SAS served Gerard Depardieus Chateau de Tigné Anjou Rosé this summer and autumn. Pretty grim actually, so doesn’t belong in this thread 😉

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

I have had this wine on two occasions plus other Swiss local wines on Swiss. Very nice and in fact I’ve taken down the names of some I particular liked so that I could buy some while in Switzerland.

I also have had some brialliant NZ white wines on some airlines, only in First.

esselle
    Participant

Being pretty much retired, my longhaul days are virtually over, but I am currently half way through a long weekend in Cape Town with my wife, and get the sense that BA are making savings on the wines they serve now compared to the recent past.

Whilst the Concorde Room is still a great place to be, the champagnes were pretty mundane, with workaday Taittinger and Bollinger on offer, and a regular Mersault being the best white on offer.

On board, in old First, exemplary service, LPGS, which is s step up from the lounge champagnes, but again only a Premier Cru Chablis to top the whites.

Flying back tomorrow, so let’s see what CPT lounge has to offer.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

What a wonderful expression which I grudgingly and reluctantly agree with in your first para Hengli.

Fully agree with the second, but I still prefer my beloved Swiss to her current fling with QR!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Esselle, enjoy CPT and I hope you’re having better weather than we’re having in Knysna this morning?

I have to go to London next week for three days and have decided to give BA a try again as they have a day flight which I love and as I enjoy a glass or two on day flights I’ll try their offerings. Unfortunately the return is a night flight only.

I recall that the lounge was next to the gate which was convenient for boarding as you could see if the queue had gone, but was a pretty sad affair. Now the airports been revamped is the lounge still there and has it been improved?

esselle
    Participant

LuganoPirate

The CPT lounge is exactly as it was on my last visit in late 2009.

Facing a 2 plus hour delay back up due to weather in London!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls