What influences your hotel choice?

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• Cloud-9
    Participant

Bath tub
    Good complimentary wifi in room
    Parking (if needed)
    Club floor

I believe Sheraton give additional spg points for guests who re-use towels?

Rockhopper
    Participant

If the OP wants to see what’s wrong with Crowne Plaza as a brand I suggest he tries the Crowne Plaza at Liverpool airport. A complete disaster of a hotel in my experience

FaroFlyer
    Participant

To the original question posed, I first look at location, then at hotel “brand” and price, and whether there is a lounge, or not. WiFi is now standard if you are aa loyalty scheme member.

Now to my gripe. I am not a marketing person, so do not appreciate spin or hype. Perhaps that is why I no longer trust hotel “brands” as they are not brands, but names. To me a brand is something that you trust, because you know what you can expect.

All up market hotels have, in my view, destroyed their brands by creating such variability as to what you will receive. I expect that all Hiltons will have an Exec lounge, and that the offering will be similar in all. It is not the case. You can research whether there is a lounge, and if so, what it will offer, but why should I have to do this? If it is a Hilton it should be a Hilton. I do not expect Doubletree to have lounges, but some do. Why the variation? Many Hiltons are now being re-branded as Doubletrees. Why? Is it a move downmarket? If not, why change the name. Neither Hilton nor Doubletree are true brands now, just household names. I looked at the following and can see why Hiltons are being renamed Doubletrees. In this Hilton web page they state that Doubletree is growing. Of course it is. It is renaming Hiltons http://www.managementservices.hilton.com/en/about-our-team/our-brands.html

The same applies to Marriott, and Renaissance, and Courtyard. There are some excellent Courtyards in Germany that are really like Marriotts without a lounge, but there are also Marriotts without a lounge, and likewise Renaissance. Why? They are not brands, they are just names. Did you know that JW Marriott and Marriott are 2 different brands? Neither did I until a few moments ago. http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi

I want to know what I can expect. Car rental companies are on the same slippery slope, as are the legacy airlines. At least with Ryanair, EasyJet, Transavia and Vueling you know what to expect.

TominScotland
    Participant

Looking at it another way, I would certainly look to avoid Trump and Scion hotels……

MartynSinclair
    Participant

One other part of the hotel experience that would influence my choice is simple pricing.

These days when you go into a branded hotel there are so many prices for the same room. I know hotels need to maximise revenue, but why should there be such flexing and so many choices for the same room grade.

I try to use hotels where I get similar pricing for each stay..

alainboy56
    Participant

I am a Gold member of both SPG and HHonors, so I almost always prefer those two brands.
    As a fellow forum member said previously, both Loyalty Programmes give me automatic upgrades (both room and WiFi service), access (where available to Club Executive Lounges, very late check-outs, and an extremely sincere and personal welcome on arrival, where they show that they appreciate your custom. There is always a gift in the room too, whether it be a bowl of wrapped fruits or some special cakes, even a bottle of ‘bubbly’ I remember on one occasion, as it was just 2 days before my birthday, whatever, I am always shown that my custom is appreciated.
    Other aspects which are must for me, are a decent shower and ‘Rain Shower’ if possible, not a handset over the bath, and easy (and FREE) parking.

esselle
    Participant

I’m Plat with Accor and Diamond with Hilton, so tend to aim for them first. Overall, I think I get a better deal in terms of “recognition”, typically in Pullman and Sofitel, with Accor.

Earlier this week, I got a “triple” upgrade at LHR T5 and, when they spotted that I have two nights booked there next week, they asked me if I would like to have the same room.

JohnHarper
    Participant

Plat with Accor also and recognition at Pullmans and Sofitels is faultless. Room upgrades happen on 90%+ of occasions.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls