Virgin Trains wins ECML

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

How Virgin’s fortunes have changed since the great West Coast balls up.

Good to see the old Tory dogma lives on though.

transtraxman
    Participant

As I have said before now is the time to change the franchisee on the WCML and let DOR upgrade the services.

MrMichael
    Participant

Now it is in effect Stagecoach on the East Coast mainline prepare for 5 abreast seating in 2nd class and 4 across in 1st. Stagecoach my ****. Just got off a ruddy Stagecoach train, Southampton Airport to Woking….it is like something North Korea’s Kim Jong Un or whatever he calls himself would dream up.

PegasusAir
    Participant

I use the Virgin WCML quite a lot – weekdays in First, and I find them very good. I can’t compare them with the current ECML as I don’t use this line but the rolling stock certainly looks better. The fare structure seems to work well with big discounts for Advance booking. The service is good, food fine (particularly the breakfasts!)and the only delays tend to be Network Rail related. Compared with the pre- Virgin days they are excellent which is why 100,000 people signed a petition of support within days when they looked likely to lose it. I hope the award to Stagecoach of the ECML doesn’t mean we are likely to lose the Virgin WCML because they have 90% of one and 49% of the other. Hands off please!! There is enough to do with our railways without changing something that works.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Problem with Virgin Trains in my opinion is the pricing of flexible tickets.

Its fares are geared to those passengers who can either book in advance or, if you want to be flexible, take off-peak trains.

If you compare the flexible first and standard class return fares between London, Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield you will see what I mean.

In the case of London-Manchester, the off-peak flexible Saver standard class fare is just £79.70 (and Virgin wonders why its trains are so crowded in the time change between peak/off-peak) but the flexible return rises to £321.

Virgin’s flexible first class fare is a costly £459. There is no first class Saver fare.

Flexible peak hour fares with rival operators between London, Manchester and Leeds are substantially cheaper.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls