Virgin Atlantic to have different onboard seating on leased Air Berlin A330s

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Virgin Atlantic, as with British Airways, is having problems with the RR engines on its new B787s.

It is therefore leasing a number of ex-Air Berlin A330s which will be rostered for selected flights in spring and summer 2018.

What it means is that the onboard accommodation will be different. So business class will have a different layout and there will be no premium economy cabin.

These are the routes/flights/dates rostered for the Air Berlin A330s.

https://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/travel-information/travel-news.html

MartynSinclair
    Participant

For the die hard VS Upper class fans this will give them the opportunity to sample a ‘new VS seat style’. A fully forward facing, fully automatic and open (not coffin like seat).

I hope a regular VS traveller will post some comments…

Defcon5
    Participant

If you’re referring to the old J class seat on the A330 which was known as ‘the coffin’ then this will be an improvement. I am sure though by the end of 2018 these will have been retrofitted with the new J seat (which is much better) and Premium.

The A350 is due in 2019, it will be interesting to see what that looks like.

Still the best J cabin across the Atlantic.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

I don’t think the article mentions anything about the J seat being swapped out / replaced.

As for VS being ‘still the best J cabin across the Atlantic’ – I would beg to differ!!

The J cabin on the 773 operated by AA would get my vote. Having had the fortune, or misfortune, to travel on all the various different variants offered, with the exception of DL, the AA seat (similar to CX), I think shades it.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes, I think it is significant that Virgin mentions that it will introduce its premium economy cabin onto the aircraft at the end of the year, but no mention is made of its Upper Class seat (and it would seem to be the logical time to do it if it was going to be done).

It’s interesting the debate about the best business class seat. That’s the question I’m asked the most. I might start a thread about that.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

… and now one of the A340-600s returns

Virgin Atlantic’s new livery offers thanks

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=848777]Yes, I think it is significant that Virgin mentions that it will introduce its premium economy cabin onto the aircraft at the end of the year, but no mention is made of its Upper Class seat (and it would seem to be the logical time to do it if it was going to be done). It’s interesting the debate about the best business class seat
    . That’s the question I’m asked the most. I might start a thread about that.
    [/quote]

Difficult to standardise the assessment criteria to make that comparison meaningful, because there are so many personal preferences – e.g. I don’t mind putting my feet into a space when sleeping, others hate it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls