Virgin Atlantic premium economy to the Caribbean

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

kathrynm
    Participant

We’re both pensioners and fly to the Caribbean with Virgin at least once a year. We decided to upgrade to a Premium Economy about 8 years ago because economy seats are just so uncomfortably ‘squidged’ – particularly for one (me) with a rapidly spreading lower half.

Initially, we were made to feel special and felt that the extra charge, not insignificant to us, was worth it. However, these days – particularly the homecoming flight – aside from the fact that sitting in ‘the bubble’ is undoubtedly a more pleasant atmosphere, it no longer feels very special. The much vaunted glass of ‘champagne’ before take-off used to be quite palatable – and sometimes refilled. Now, it’s half a glass of some sharp fizzy wine which the staff can’t be bothered to even chill. Ours was so bad on the last flight that we couldn’t bring ourselves to drink it (believe me, that is BAD-bad!!). Even the stewardess acknowledged it wasn’t very good, but was pretty much indifferent to our disappointment.

The food, which I believe is the same as in economy, is usually exceptionally bad – though occasionally it is edible enough to give us hope for the next time. On the return flight, an overnight flight, the staff can’t wait to serve you, whisking away the tray almost before you finish. It is so, so rushed – annoyingly so – and we have concluded this must be because then the staff can have a bit of a break while passengers sleep.

Generally the staff are quite pleasant, but sometimes that is not the case. We pay approximately an extra £250 each, each way, for Premium seats, and have to ask ourselves if it’s really worth it. We’re going away in April and, because it’s a very special occasion, have splashed out (for the first time ever) to travel Upper Class. Sadly, it is likely to be the last time – just too expensive – but we are very much hoping that it’ll be significantly better than our last few journeys with Virgin – who seem to be getting just a little complacent.

Recordman
    Participant

Why stay with Virgin?

jasonr01
    Participant

I went once with Virgin and never again.
    I flew out of Manchester to Orlando. Problems started at the check in when for some reason they would nt allow me to take on my brief case stating it was to big. (the same brief case I have used on many other airlines without any problems) I explained it had laptop and other electrical equipment which was important to stay with me. The lady on the desk was very rude, it was very difficult not to be rude but managed to keep my cool. Anyway still no joy which meant i had to check in normal luggage , go and find a shop that sells locks and then went back to check in. the same lady ion the desk was more interested in talking with her colleague and stirring up some trouble with virgin as something had gone off ( not sure what).
    No common courtesy at all. Flight to Orlando was OK but nothing special in premium economy. However on the return flight my seat would not recline. after requesting someone to look at it took 45 mins for someone to come. eventually when the stewardess arrived holding a knife in her hand to fix the chair i was told that once it has been repared do not move the seat again as she was not prepared to come back and fix it again.
    I always believe in being polite to people as often by getting funny with them makes the matters worse.
    Needless to say the one and only flight with virgin which was approximately 2 years ago. since then somewhere in the region of 20 flights taken and none with virgin (granteded virgin dont fly all my business routes) but that was the nail in the coffin for me

kathrynm
    Participant

Why indeed stay with Virgin! Probably because we collect Virgin airmiles which have been a bit of a bonus and also Virgin does tend to be a bit cheaper than other carriers as, being Frequent Flyers, we have 10% minimum discount – sometimes 15%. Makes a significant difference to a fairly pricey holiday! Also, the V. 1st class lounge at Gatwick is fabulous – the best ever start to the holiday!

However, 2012 Caribbean trip is with BA Clubworld so we’ll be able to compare.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls