Upgrading from World Traveller back from Bangkok

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I am flying back from Bangkok in a few days time. I thought I might investigate the price of upgrading.

No seats left in World Traveller Plus, but some seats left in Club World.

Bit astonished at the price, though….

BKK

capetonianm
    Participant

Another example of BA’s outstanding IT department’s work. Someone’s mother must be very proud of the 16 year old programmer in Bangalore who did that programming.

I am sure Cruz would like to know about this.

Edski777
    Participant

Just a message from BA they definitely don’t want you in Club on this flight. LOL. 😉 😉

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Is it just me, or does anyone else find BA’s new website to be awful?

Certainly not as easy to use as the other one – looks and ‘feels’ more like it should be a website for Ryanair or worse – like they are trying to sell you something on every click of the mouse.

I would describe it as tacky.

K1ngston
    Participant

Tom, the best way to upgrade is to go the desk on the day and ask, the prices will not be that ludicrous I can assure you …….

Tried to do it for my trip back to Sin from LHR recently but they could only offer my husband and I separate cabins for the journey which sort of defeated the objective so we decided to stay in WTP … but the cost was good and acceptable for the upgrade

Did it recently on Thai from DAK-BKK and upgraded for less than $100 SGD

Good luck I hope it works out for you

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Good advice.

It’s a day flight, so I will grin and bear it, but it does make me wonder about the mysteries/ dark arts of yield / revenue management…

Presumably if the computer (or someone very clever) comes up with this price, it is because occasionally, someone pays it?

So under what circumstances (deal of the century? / loved one on deathbed?) would anyone pay this?

capetonianm
    Participant

It’s clearly an error as it is significantly higher than a full business class o/w. At first glance I thought it was quoting in THB.

SwissExPat
    Participant

I find there are many examples of this on the BA website.

Standard example is when booking logged into the BAEC.

If you price a normal cash fare for a trip you get $x as a price say in J.

If you do a ‘Pay with cash and upgrade with Avios’ and book in Y+ (but getting seats in J, i.e the original booking) I have often seen the cash price to be in excess of $x and then the add 24,000 Avios as a debit ?????????

Complete lunacy…. I am worndering if anyone ever books usinsg the ‘Pay with case, upgrade with Avios’ or maybe it is just my normal routes where the anomoly kicks in.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

This probably is correct, it’s worth every penny to sit on that 20 year old 3 cabin, unrenovated chickenbus!! Trust me Tom, even WTP is not worth it on this thing, I would stay in Y if I were you.

mkcol74
    Participant

[quote quote=833370]I find there are many examples of this on the BA website.
    Standard example is when booking logged into the BAEC.
    If you price a normal cash fare for a trip you get $x as a price say in J.
    If you do a ‘Pay with cash and upgrade with Avios’ and book in Y+ (but getting seats in J, i.e the original booking) I have often seen the cash price to be in excess of $x and then the add 24,000 Avios as a debit ?????????
    Complete lunacy…. I am worndering if anyone ever books usinsg the ‘Pay with case, upgrade with Avios’ or maybe it is just my normal routes where the anomoly kicks in.
    [/quote]

Maybe this piece on Head for Points explains the above error.

Montysaurus
    Participant

I agree that BA’s new site is pretty poor. Another example of “it ain’t broke so let’s fix it”.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Used it the other day and did not like it at all. It was always in my opinion, one of the best ones..

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Well it’s true Bangkok gets the old aircraft.

The B777-200 had an IFE so poor even occasional flyers were listening to music on their phones.

With exceptions, of course….

BT-TV

DNAdams
    Participant

Is there any chance of BA upgrading this route anytime soon?

Stowage222
    Participant

The final slap in the face is the use of a photo of the BA Dreamliner – not the clapped out a/c they actually use on that route!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls