United's farewell B747 flight will take place on November 7

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

I know many of you are B747 fans so I thought I ought to let you know that USA Today reports that United’s farewell B747 flight will operate the domestic San Francisco-Honolulu route on November 7.

However this airline’s final scheduled B747 flight will be Seoul-San Francisco on October 29.

USA Today says United will adopt a “throwback” theme for the Honolulu flight “with United crews donning 1970s-era retro uniforms” and with 1970s’ style food and entertainment.

It would be even better were United to rummage through its storeroom and re-install the original and roomier economy seating of the 1970s. That was the decade when B747 operators provided a 9-across (rather than 10-across) layout.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2017/09/18/united-final-boeing-747-flight-hawaii-nov-7/677603001/

SGJNI1961
    Participant

Very sad, I love flying 747s. When do BA say goodbye to the 30 or 40 they still have?

capetonianm
    Participant

Some of BA’s are 27 years old, average age is certainly >20 years, and the cabin interiors look every day of their age. It’s still the finest aircraft in the skies today, graceful, impressive, and nostalgic. Every time I land after a flight on one and look back at the massive plane that’s transported me halfway across the world while I dozed peacefully, I feel that sense of history and nostalgia.

Unlike more modern aircraft, when you go into the cockpit it looks, feels, and smells like an aeroplane. The rest of them look like computer control centres – which is what they are.

It will be a sad day when they go.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Nice video here from the New York Times and with MARK VANHOENACKER who is a BA pilot walking through Club World on the upper deck

https://nyti.ms/2yV436D

and the article (you might need a sub for this one)

Early Days on the 747: Power, Style and Size

Flightlevel
    Participant

Appreciate all the nostalgia for a good aeroplane ‘though its very dated and only around because of low fuel costs!
    Upstairs on business class is good ‘though will never compare to A380 for peace and quiet. I’ve regularly flown Lhr-Hkg for many years and the B747 turbulence (over Urals?) always woke me up. On A380 I get a proper sleep.
    Its also probably the noisiest aircraft still flying.Good it was ‘though modern computer aircraft flying is much better!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls