United Polaris business on a 767

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• TheCount
    Participant

I’ve always been a devoted United fan, particularly as I am neither a Chinese doctor nor a rabbit, but I was rather disappointed by their new, much-hyped Polaris business class (on a 767). To me, Polaris is a victory of marketing over substance. The cabin in dark military grey makes a forbidding rather than luxurious or inviting first impression. The seats which appear to occupy the same space as the old seats are not especially generous. They are piled high with blankets “by Saks 5th Avenue” and pillows which just create a claustrophobic feel; it’s a little like entering a bedding store. Who cares who made them if they get in the way? After unsuccessful attempts to stow them before take-off, passengers tend to cram them into the overhead bins to create space, but that just fills up the bins. Despite two requests nobody took my jacket so I folded it over the back of my seat. Both video screens near me were smeared with greasy marks and the picture was noticeably poor definition. I am just under 6 1 and I certainly couldn’t lie flat. The seat controls didn’t seem to work apart from the basic sit or lie buttons. Food was OK but nothing special – salt and pepper were in the same small paper envelopes as Economy. I’ve flown a lot of other airlines in business recently and I really want United to do as well or better, because most of my UA experiences over many years have been good. I trust them, their crews are well trained and their safety standards are high. But in my opinion, Polaris lets United down –
    it’s far from the best in the market.

nevereconomy
    Participant

My faith in the human race is restored, now I know there is a devoted United fan somewhere. My own experience,
    from Domestic Y to International F has been abysmal, even by US carrier standards.

GoDownSouth
    Participant

As far as I understand it the hard product will not be rolled out properly for another year or so – I think it is only on there 787 Dreamliners – someone may know more than me. What the OP experienced was the all new Polaris soft product – a few extra cushions!!

The pictures of the future hard product looks very nice – not sure if they are fitting it to there 767 fleet.

As a Travel agent I only get poor reviews from clients regarding United – although when BA et al are all over £5000 to the USA close to departure United are normally available for £2500 – if you know where to look – and unfortunately become quite attractive.

Intheair
    Blocked

United Paolaris has been very disappointing – I have used it on two trips, both were uniformly poor. I couldnt agree more – marketing rather than reality. They make BA look good, and AA is better than both for the US. I haven’t tried Delta however.

GoDownSouth
    Participant

I have been getting far superior feedback regarding American Airlines than BA for a year or so now – especially in F. Many of my BA gold carders ask me specifically for American now when the route is shared.

Great news for us as we get a better nett cost from American!

Intheair
    Blocked

I also use Qatar when going east, who are very good – but with the BBC website today stating that many Arabic counties have broken diplomatic relations with them due to support for IS I wonder whether I should? And they own 24% of BA. Sorry to go off topic…..

K1ngston
    Participant

Polaris is a missile right?? Thats what it would take for me to ever fly that airline again ….. The recent spat with the Dr made me smile as it would have taken such tactics to get me on one of their flights …..

TheCount
    Participant

It’s true I experienced the new soft product but not the hard product, which appears to be available on their 777-300s. However I was confused as my old 767 seemed to have been fully refurbished, so I assumed I was getting the new seats. It is a marketing mistake to sell seats as Polaris that are not Polaris. It makes customers think they’ve experienced it, conclude it’s nothing special and not give United a second chance.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls