Unite/BASSA to Strike 20/3 for 3 Days, 27/3 for 4 Days

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think the other thread takes ages to scroll down, so have started a new one. Would be good for BT to consider having longer threads divided into pages to make access on portable, and other, devices easier.

Seems a shame it has come to this.

Remember:

– Just because dates have been announced, does not mean a strike is certain to occur

– A formal commercial policy will be announced by BA in due course

– ALL exLCY services including CWLCY to JFK New York will operate as normal

– ALL Gatwick longhaul and most Gatwick shorthaul will operate as normal

– BA has enough crew to operate an almost normal 777 fleet from LHR

– BA has in place arrangement to wet lease aircraft and crews to keep services operating

– BA can rebook you onto other carriers if it is unable to get you to your destination, but check the copmmercial policy for details.

– You still get BA Miles and Tier Points on services involuntarily cancelled due to strike action

In short:

http://davidsudworth.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/keep-calm-and-carry-on.png

BA has now released a proposed schedule for the strike period:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/strike-ballot/public/en_gb

GTR_Skyline
    Participant

We should all support BA where we can…I am happy to consider changing my return flight from Sinagpore on the 22nd or finding an alternative route. Well done WW for withdrawing the offer too….lets see how many staff actually strike considering the staff travel benefits they will loose.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Looks like the website is being updated fairly frequently.

I am flying with BA during the first proposed strike period and the following message appears above the details of the flight (In Manage My Booking)

“Your flights are currently planned to operate as normal.
    During the strike period you may experience a different level of onboard service or your flight may be cancelled.

So that you can better manage your travel plans you have the following options:

•You don’t have to do anything, you can keep your booking as it is.

•You may rebook these flights and other flights free of charge, subject to availability.

You can rebook your flights on ba.com.

•You may obtain a full refund by cancelling your entire booking on ba.com.

If these flights are cancelled, we will notify you by email or text message/SMS. Please ensure your contact details are up-to-date.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Details of the onboard service in CW if your long haul flight does fly:

“On flights under 9 hours a meal will be served at your seat, with snacks available at the Club Kitchen in the galley throughout the flight.

On flights over 9 hours a meal will be served with a light snack available later in the flight.

Snacks and savoury items will also be available at the Club Kitchen in the galley throughout the flight.

Unfortunately, we will be unable to provide hot meals on board.

The usual range of hot and cold drinks will be available along with a bar service.

We are increasing the amount of catering available in both the departure and arrivals lounges and would encourage you to make use of them.”

In WTP:

On flights under 9 hours a meal will be served with snacks and savoury items available from the galley at any time during the flight.

On flights over 9 hours a meal will be served with a snack available later in the flight.

Snacks and savoury items will also be available from the galley at any time during the flight.

The usual range of hot and cold drinks will be available along with a bar service.

We are increasing the amount of catering available in both the departure and arrivals lounges and Gold and Silver Executive Club members are encouraged to make use of them.

Same deal for WT

continentalclub
    Participant

And, for the sake of completeness, for First passengers:

On flights under 9 hours customers will be served a meal will be at their seat, with snacks available at the Club Kitchen in the galley throughout the flight

On flights over 9 hours a meal will be served with a light snack available later in the flight.

Snacks and savoury items will also be available at the Club Kitchen in the galley throughout the flight

We are increasing the amount of catering available in both the departure and arrivals lounges and would encourage customers to make use of them.

continentalclub
    Participant

I too am flying during the first proposed strike period, and I have the same message showing in the Manage My Booking section of ba.com as SiteAdministrator.

Interestingly (or not), the flight is slated for 744 operation exLHR.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Well, I’ve chickened out. I was booked FRA>LHR>LIS on Friday 26th with BA. Have now re-booked on FRA>LIS with LH as I need to know that I shall be back in Portugal that day. My choice for the route was BA, probable disruption; LH, Captains strike hopefully over; TAP Captains 6 day strike due to start that day.

During the entire build up to this BA dispute I have received absolutely no communication from BA despite having a Portugal > Dusseldorf round trip next Monday / Wednesday on BA, and a London connection on my AMS>LGW>FAO flight yesterday.

To add insult to injury I sat next to a guy on the LGW>FAO sector yesterday who was on the same route in December and received 25,000 unsolicited bonus miles for worry for each of he, his wife and daughter, and my wife and I received nothing, nix, nada although we also travelled that route during the 12 day period. And I’m a Gold card.

Not impressed with WW and BA management whose strategy seems to rely on the blind support of BA regulars.

GTR_Skyline
    Participant

This appears to be a more controlled approach to dealing with the strike – BA did not have any contingency plans during the gate gourmet strikes…at least they are being up front…but agree, there is no consistency in providing compensation….I’m sure if you write in, they will honor the same level of compensation…BA issued 100’s of thousands of BA miles in compensation during the gate gourmet strikes…I’m sure there will be more this time around too.

continentalclub
    Participant

GTR_Skyline: I think FaroFlyer’s seatmate was referring to the strike action originally planned for the Christmas 2009 period, immediately prior to which British Airways gifted ex-gratia BA miles dependent of class of travel to Executive Club members who ‘kept the faith’, even though no action ultimately took place.

The Gate Gourmet action rewarded customers whose flights had actually been disrupted.

It remains to be seen how the company will react during this episode, although it’s clear that they’re currently focussing their efforts on keeping their aircraft flying, rather than collapsing in a heap, throwing their arms in the air and showering members with even more miles.

That’s both practical and commendable as a priority, but BA will need to go far beyond that if it is to rebuild the confidence and goodwill of its customer base. Though they have made strides, and though they know that other carriers to whom passengers may temporarily defect are facing similar levels of IR uncertainty, the airline is apparently some way behind the best, if not even the majority, in understanding the power, reach and leverage of modern media and social networking in exposing inconsistency and also common experience amongst savvy consumers.

Facebook, Twitter, web fora et al are not merely routes to free advertising and PR; they’re mirrors reflecting truths that only sustainable businesses can confidently parade in front of in the long term.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Slightly better effort than Gordon Brown’s derisory performance on YouTube:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/strike-ballot-ba-response/public/en_gb

I like the way they have used this approach to communicate with customers; shows some considerable planning is going in to managing the message to customers, and that planning to mitigate this strike is well advanced.

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

As ever I first need to declare my (dis / non)interest of being a member of Unite. Much as I wish out of work re this carry on, I have no real option not to be. If it wasn’t for so many of these ****** union mergers then civil aviation would have nothing to do with healthcare.

Any ideas what effects the first phase of the strike will have on flights for Tuesday 23rd? I’m booked on a domestic redeye that morning, always the first to get cancelled for weather, strikes, baggage, security, wrong kind of deicing fluid, etc etc.

Can’t believe that Unite hasn’t messed up somewhere on process…

VintageKrug
    Participant

It is possible the strike may never happen.

Although BA is wet leasing crewed aircraft, Domestic flights are (rightly in my opinion) the most at risk as these are the flights for which it is easiest for passengers to make alternative arrangements (rail, road, coach or simply postponing by a day).

The London City flights will operate as normal, so in the first instance (if possible) try and book a flight arriving there; otherwise I would have a back up plan ready just in case.

Nut if you believe it’s time to stop being held to ransom by Trades Union Trots, then I would urge you to support BA and keep your booking with them if possible.

Note that BA will publish a timetable of flights for the initial strike weekend shortly, so you should know in good time whether or not your flight will operate.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls