UK Border Service branded a "disgrace" in leaked report.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

• stevescoots
    Participant

I read today that the special powers that they had to detail , question , monitor returning jihadis has not been used once! That’s an absolute scandal. I agree that’s nothing to do with politicians but the ineptitude of the baffons that are supposed to implement this and coordinate between the UKBA, police and security services. This is basic stuff!

alainboy56
    Participant

@stevescoots — well said and when I have said they were ‘useless numpties’ before elsewhere on this forum, I was ‘told off’ as they are all somebody’s son or daughter, just trying to earn a salary!! I remember the subject as always is “and where are you coming from today sir”? And when I pointed out that I came from Doha but it didn’t mean anything, they didn’t understand what I meant. More than a thousand of people come from Doha every day, but actually maybe about 3 from Doha City! (that’s a joke, its actually 10)!
    So I was trying to point out that asking somebody and wasting his time (and everyone else in the queue) where they come from is a completely useless exercise. The bufoon probably had no idea what or where is Doha anyway. It would be much simpler and more honest to say, “well actually I came originally from Raqa’a and I sneaked illegally across the border into Turkey and then managed to get a taxi to Istanbul airport where I took a flight to London via Doha on this very nice Qatar Airways sir/madam” …… but ……..

canucklad
    Participant

Lots of interesting and valid points being made and here’s my tuppence worth?

1) Sticking para military outfits on to people supposedly protecting our borders doesn’t make me feel more secure, nor does it convince me that we’ve got immigration under control. A stupid and pointless exercise instigated by officials who arguably have been instructed by a government who thrive on activity, but not achievement.
    2) And I fully agree with the accusation of cost cutting,, the implementation of those useless automated machines are not there for our convenience, they’re there to save a wage..

In my opinion, the inception of these machines facilitate the easy movement of these home grown cowardly psychotic, easily led murdering “losers” between the UK and the people in those countries that want to do us harm.
    I just can’t help wondering if the delusional coward ( I refuse to respect him by naming him) used the machine rather than risking being questioned eye ball to eye ball by a border official. .
    If this or any other government is truly serious about reducing the long term risk of these insane attacks they should sack the automation and replace them with skilled border officials who can ask the right questions, in the right way that both protects our country and welcomes visitors of all creeds and colour.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Despite my previous comment deemed inappropriate and I guess politically incorrect – even before an election – it is a serious matter when all the threats to the country are by terrorists and you cut back the Immigration and Border service and the police force, such that we have soldiers on the street.
    Newspapers note its quite rightly not helping her cause. What goes around comes around!

Charles-P
    Participant

From a 2016 newspaper report,

UK BORDER Force workers have seen their morale plummet to “rock bottom” amid allegations of mismanagement, according to a new leaked survey of staff.

UK Border Force workers have seen their morale plummet to ‘rock bottom’ says a new leaked survey

Budget cuts and increased workloads mean one in five employees securing our borders now say they want to leave the service immediately.

In addition, only one in three said they were proud to work for the unit, with even fewer willing to recommend it as a job – 30per cent lower than the civil service average.

More worryingly for the Government, less than one in five border force workers said the service was being managed well.

And less than one in four believed that senior management had any kind of clear vision for the future.

I guess that explains why so many of them are such miserable devils !

alainboy56
    Participant

Charles-P —- yes when I complained last year in a different thread about the e-gates being closed for months and months, I did say then that the ‘numpties in suits’ should be fired for such gross incompetence! They took the original ones out of service, then boarded off an area, where the new ones are now, for maybe more than 6 months, and I heard it was because they had software problems. Well don’t take the old ones out of service until you know the new ones will work would be a good strategy! How do these idiots keep their jobs with all their generous civil service benefits etc, when they are so grossly incompetent??? If we made mistakes like that in ‘civvy street’ we would soon be down the road! And its the same ‘Numpties in suits’ who make the rules and insist that the poor guy/gal on duty at the counter, ask everyone where they come from. So either one lies, if one has something to hide, or like me you tell the truth and say ‘Doha’ which also means absolutely nothing, as for example, on a QR A380 arriving into LHR at lunchtime, everybody on that flight is coming from Doha, but only maybe 3 pax actually from Qatar that day!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Just out of interest, has anyone read this report?

alainboy56
    Participant

Has anyone seen the recent criticism of UK Border control by BA at its home T5. They had complained bitterly about the number of e-gates inoperative for late night arrivals and the queues it caused. Of course the numpties higher up at Immigration denied it and the Govt backed them up.
    Well I have passed through T5 maybe 5 times in the last 6 weeks and in each case there has not been more than 50% of the e-gates open, and these arrivals were at differing times of the day, so not just late night timings. The last time I counted 9 open out of 25. This is a fact, and was at approx 14.30 on 18th August. Now let anyone deny this was the truth.
    So, M/s BA, if you are really going to complain on our behalf, get your facts right, then bring the numpty in a suit out of his office to see the facts, and not just deny it.
    Why does the SUN or some other popular ‘red top’ not take photos of the reality, and then interview and harass this incompetent ‘manager’ for all our benefit.
    fortunately (or unfortunately) I shall be passing through T5 this weekend and this time I will take photos for the press.
    By the way, does anyone understand why the blue/violet blazered young people are there? I have asked them why exactly, as I wait in a queue of 50m, and they tell me they are there to assist, and when I told them politely ‘that one way of assisting, would be to open all the bl*&^y gates, yes all 25 of them’, one bravely responded that ‘this is not our doing, its UK Border Control’ —— so there we are! We are back to these same useless incompetent civil servants.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Can anyone explain for me what the saving is in turning off some of the e-gates? I arrived back in the UK last week (mid-evening, not late) to find less than half of them operating. Queues were building up, more people choosing to go to the manual desks, queues there too …

I can quite see that if UKBA have no-one at all to man the desk for those that try to use the e-gates and for some reason are not allowed through, then you have to turn all the gates off. But I can see no justification at all for having them partially operating. The taxpayer has after all spent good money on the equipment, and in exchange we deserve to have our investment fully used.

SimonS1
    Participant

I believe that for every 5 e-gates you need 1 Border Force person.

Presumably staff cuts are affecting the operation? And don’t those date back to when President May was at the home office?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I asked the question and was told that the number of egates open is determined by the number of officers manning the desks. My follow up question, or rather statement was totally ignored.. but all the desks are manned officer…

garrison76
    Participant

alainboy56 – read the Daily Mail much? Have to say I find some of your earlier posts offensive and racist. It might be ok to be prejudiced against Bangladeshi people wherever you live in the Gulf (where presumably they are treated as slave labour), but here in London we’re proud of our multicultural, open and welcoming city. It may not be the UK that your father “braved his life in WWII for”, but it’s 2017, not 1945.

DiamondDad68
    Participant

I came through T3 at 19:00 yesterday and only gates 1-5 were operating. The remaining 6-15 were all closed.

ASK1945
    Participant

I came in to LHR T5 on Wednesday night around 8 pm, at a time when so many other flights arrived the plane was put to a remote stand and we were bussed in. The baggage Hall was heaving. But at the immigration – there must have been all the e-gates open, with no queues and plenty of gates to walk right up to without anybody there.

I arrived from Madrid T4S; plenty of prior warnings from BA about long queues for exit immigration. The border is there, not in the main terminal. The number of people waiting for the transit shuttle train from the main terminal was massive, so I made sure I was near the front, when boarding it. One of the first off, I went quickly to the border control desks and was through in less than 5 minutes. I looked back, to see a queue behind going back at least 100 metres, with possibly 300 people waiting. Why? Because there were just two people on the desks, checking all passports manually.

The week before, in Portugal, I exited in 30 seconds using e-gates (as in LHR T5) with no queues.

alainboy56
    Participant

I think they have got the hint, I arrived at 18.00 yesterday and all, yes all 25 e-gates at T5 were open. So where praise is due, now so be it.

@garrison76
    — for your information I do not live in the UK, and one of the reasons IS because of what it has become. I am not a racist, how can I be, when I live in an extremely multi-cultural society but WITH rules, I work and have colleagues from indeed Bangladesh, Pakistan, India, Syria and so on and so on, so I am not racist but a REALIST. There is a huge problem in Europe at the moment, with terrorism caused mostly by Maghrebis from North Africa but even on the home front in the society that you are extremely proud of, and I have to say that in London ‘it does work’, but London is not representative of UK. What do you say about the mainly Pakistani men grooming and raping girls in Rochdale and Rotherham etc etc? In you eyes, are they British? And we return to the subject of the e-gates, last night all were open, so presumably any ‘jihadis’ returning to UK were able to ‘waltz back into the UK’ and continue their lives without hindrance. No control over our borders, this is my main gripe! And I thought that by not signing up to Schengen Agreement, was because the UK wanted to keep strict control on its borders, how wrong we were to believe in fairy tales!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls