UBER to leave London ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Charles-P
    Participant

I understand that the TFL licence for UBER to operate in London which expired yesterday has only been renewed for four months not the five years UBER were seeking. This is seems has been a result of intensive lobbying by the Licenced Taxi Drivers Association which represents black cabs. As a user of UBER all over the world I am amazed that London is taking this backward step.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=810412]I understand that the TFL licence for UBER to operate in London which expired yesterday has only been renewed for four months not the five years UBER were seeking. This is seems has been a result of intensive lobbying by the Licenced Taxi Drivers Association which represents black cabs. As a user of UBER all over the world I am amazed that London is taking this backward step.

[/quote]

Are you aware of the recent court case between Uber and TfL?

Although I don’t know the facts behind the decision to renew for only four months, it would not surprise me if TfL wish to be able to review progress in English testing before renewing for longer.

By the way, Uber can look like a way of using the ‘gig’ economy to avoid paying social costs. I have no truk for Black Cab drivers, but I believe that opposition comes from a rather broader audience.

The Work and Pensions Committee recently had something to say about Uber (as well as others).

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/apr/06/uber-contract-gibberish-says-mp-investigating-gig-economy

capetonianm
    Participant

I have used Uber in over a dozen countries and have only had good experiences. There is rivalry with conventional operators and it is sad that rather than opening up to competition the authorities are capitulating to pressure.

That said, I do feel that possibly the vetting processes for Uber drivers and vehicles are not as strict as for conventional taxis, and maybe another layer of security should be in place.

Charles-P
    Participant

@capetonianm I share your view concerning the good experiences of UBER around the world. I did once speak to a driver in London about the vetting process and he said it was quite comprehensive so out of curiosity I looked at their website and this is what it said,

“The driver is fully-licensed by Transport for London, has undergone an enhanced Criminal Records check (now called a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check) and carries a TfL Private Hire badge as well as a TfL roundel on their vehicle. UberTAXI drivers, like all black cab drivers, have undergone an enhanced DBS check and display their taxi badge and cab number in the inside of the car.

Uber partner-drivers undergo further vetting and training, including checks of all their personal and vehicle licensing documents. Private hire drivers have to show eight documents to join the platform, including commercial insurance for them and their car to carry passengers. Uber’s system keeps track of every document’s validity – if a document expires, Uber’s system automatically prevents the driver from working on the platform until their documents are in order.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

There’s a bit more detail here

Is it all over for Uber in London? Car service faces more uncertainty as authorities renew its licence for only four months

“In April, TfL launched a consultation on plans to change the fee structure for private hire operators so that firms like Uber pay fees that reflect the increased costs of regulating the sector.
    This could mean that Uber’s fees will rise dramatically, from about £3,000 over a five-year period to more than £2m.”

Not really their day

Uber Fired Its Robocar Guru, But Its Legal Fight With Google Goes On

K1ngston
    Participant

When I visit London and dont hire a car I take Uber from LHR to Central London and each time the driver wears a badge saying they have been vetted by TfL which means they and their vehicle are fit to drive on the road..

This is exactly the same as the Black Cabs. Difference is cost of black cab into London with tip etc nearly £70 and with Uber depending on what time £35-50

What the Black Cabs in London need to do is exactly what the cabs in Singapore have done to counter Uber, they also offer pricing dependent on the hour and demand meaning Uber have set the standard and the registered cabs are following. What does that mean for the consumer? Better pricing of course and are affordable journeys

I have a lot of friends who are cab drivers in the UK and they would also want the surge pricing capability which makes them competitive, the move if it is the case to remove them is counter productive to say the least and protectionist

As an aside I am using Uber to great effect here in Hanoi currently, great service good cars and most importantly of all good value for money ….

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=810525]

As an aside I am using Uber to great effect here in Hanoi currently,
    [/quote]

I think we are stalking each other Mr k1ngston!
    A week ago today, we were separated by just a couple of miles, in Delhi.

I was in Hanoi yesterday

Just arrived in Phnom Pehn.

Small world indeed.
    ST

K1ngston
    Participant

ST agghh what a shame, we need to co ordinate our schedules as I am sure a nice bottle of wine somewhere nice is due?

Not sure how to get you my details, does Martyn have them??

I am in Singapore all next week and then back to Delhi the week after …..

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Back on the subject of Uber.

My experiences with them are excellent – I used them right across the USA and Canada when I was commuting there in 2014-2016 (when I didn’t have a car or when I wanted to drink alcohol).
    I also started to use them pretty much exclusively in London and have since used them in ‘newer spots’ like Kuala Lumpur, Bangalore, Bangkok. My home town of Leeds does feature Uber but, they can only really be found in the City, not out in the stix where I live.
    I like the ease of booking, the car mapping, the fact that the driver carries no money is an asset to safety and the fact that the invoice can be directed straight to my expense tool (Concur) makes it all very easy.

Uber in Kuala Lumpur from the Renaissance to KL Sentral was a 25 minute journey costing a little over £3.00 in a new, clean car with a polite and courteous driver.

K1ngston
    Participant

I totally agree SeasonedTraveller, I have always used Uber in KL, anything is better than the cab drivers there who are rude and will screw you at any given chance.

In fact I met a lovely woman who drives a BMW there and she became my defacto go to person when there using the Uber App to ensure everything was above board with her, she was courteous, on time and always willing to help…

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=810529]ST agghh what a shame, we need to co ordinate our schedules as I am sure a nice bottle of wine somewhere nice is due?

Not sure how to get you my details, does Martyn have them??

I am in Singapore all next week and then back to Delhi the week after …..

[/quote]

I am in PP for 2 days and then head back to KL for a day, then back to Mumbai and return to UK via MUC with LH on Monday (very early) morning.
    Next trip (outside Europe) is in July, to Shanghai, Beijing, Dalian, South Korea and Bangkok although the dates are not fully fixed as yet.
    Cheers
    ST

K1ngston
    Participant

Let us know the dates when you are in BKK and we can get Martyn there the same time and we know this nice place……….

Travel safe ST

capetonianm
    Participant

Uber loses London licence a second time as it faces exile from capital

Uber has lost its licence to operate in London for the second time in two years as it faces the prospect of a ban from the capital over concerns it put “passenger safety and security at risk”.

The ride-hailing company had its licence renewal denied by Transport for London on Monday, meaning it faces a fight to keep its operations and app running in one of its largest cities.

Uber has time to appeal and its service, which includes 45,000 drivers, will not immediately be blocked. The company called the decision “extraordinary and wrong”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/11/25/uber-losses-london-licence-second-time-faces-ban-capital/

capetonianm
    Participant

A German court has banned Uber ride-hailing services in Germany, arguing the US company lacks a necessary licence to offer passenger transport services using rental cars.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls