UBER scam?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

• EU_Flyer
    Participant

I recently returned to UBER as a product. I used them in Paris to get to Charles De Gaulle from St Germain. Booked UberPool and waited. Driver was showing 5 mins away then suddenly he cancels the trip. I then re book and get same driver and he shows up at the pick up point 2 mins later. Think nothing more of it until I get the EUR5 canx fee on my CC.

Turns out drivers are cancelling trips to claim the easy EUR5 and then reaccepting the same customers, thereby getting effectively a EUR5 tip.

Anyone else have similar negative experiences on UBER?

Thanks in advance.

Ah-Mahdi
    Participant

IF the driver is the person who cancels, is it possible for him to claim the cancellation fee? I think the fee is when the client cancels the uber not the drivers .

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am a big fan of Uber….

If you dispute an item on the online disputes section, invariably, you will be refunded, albeit by a voucher redeemable for your next booking.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=825895]IF the driver is the person who cancels, is it possible for him to claim the cancellation fee? I think the fee is when the client cancels the uber not the drivers .

[/quote]

Drivers are entitled to cancel where a customer ‘no shows’ and they collect a fee.

The problem is that drivers are cancelling on the basis that they say the customer has ‘no showed’, so they collect the fee automatically. Then, when there aren’t many cars around, they re-accept the request knowing they’ll get chosen again and get the ride as well. Uber doesn’t let you choose your car so you can’t reject the driver that previously cancelled on you.

I know some customers don’t show, but it appears some drivers are abusing this option even where the customer has been ready and waiting.

capetonianm
    Participant

I am also a fan of Uber. I did have this problem once, I was stood outside the Europa Hotel in Belfast waiting for an Uber, saw it approaching on the app, then it stopped, then seemed to be doing wheelies or touch-and-gos then I got a message to say the driver had cancelled. He may have been stuck in traffic, but not my problem, and I got a £4 cancellation charge. I contested it on the website and as Martyn said it was promptly refunded as a credit.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Same for me in Dubai. I did get refunded, but then charged again. IN the end I paid the £4 but didn’t use them again until recently, and then only in London

EU_Flyer
    Participant

Frankly, this has turned me off Uber.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Best to avoid UBER altogether. You’re not safe with them as I can testify!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

You are going to get a couple of bad apples in any large organization including Uber.. but I find Uber has so many advantages over standard mini cabs and black cabs:

1. Black cabs have really priced themselves out of the market. Similar fares, black cabs v Uber are generally double. Although one reason I heard yesterday on LBC, is that the cost of Black Cab (new) is around £40,000, yet an Uber driver can get on the road, day one for as little as a Prius cost second hand

2. The old argument about the Knowledge and the value of it, simply no longer exists. Transformational Change comes even to the taxi profession. The GPS maps Uber use are very much up to date and recognise back routes.

3. Ordering an Uber in London – easier and generally quicker than waiting for a bus, calling a mini cab or catching the eye of a black cab driver. Even at Heathrow, 12 minutes from order to being on your way

4. I accept though that Uber is not as regulated as Black cabs which does put in question the safety element for passengers but as a single man or part of a group – I do feel very safe. Not sure I would encourage a single lady to take an Uber.

The most sensible suggestions I heard on the discussion on LBC was from a trainee Black cab driver, learning the knowledge

A. Black cabs are limited to 25,000 in London at any one time
    B. There are no limits to mini cabs – competition is good, but even mini cab firms are being squeezed by the sheer number of Uber drivers

There should be one regulatory body / license covering all private hire cars, whether Black Cab, mini cab or Uber….

Swissdiver
    Participant

I am using Uber all around the world excepted in central London (no GPS can beat a London black cab driver’s knowledge). As mentioned above, the few times I had a problem, I got refunded. Now I do not use UberPool nor Pop so can’t comment on these services. For the rest, got an impeccable service in 90+% of the cases, a much higher ratio than with taxis…

K1ngston
    Participant

I am with Martyn here there are always bad apples the last time I took an Uber in London it was excellent, I do take exception here in Singapore when they cancel for no apparent reason and then they try and charge you. I soon put a stop to that, we had an issue just yesterday when my husband ordered a uber for us and the interface (that annoys me) defaulted to another block in our complex, we quickly contacted the driver he promptly cancelled and there was a $6 charge… We quickly used the app and within 2 hours the amount was credited …

I use them exclusively in KL, BKK and Hanoi in region as they are the best mode of transport, I use them if I have to here as the taxis here are so good.

They have added competition so there is more choice and have made things better in my opinion

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

I Dont use it, but if the supplier cancels, how the hell do you get charged the canx fee????????

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Maybe I’m biased, but I’ll never use them again, nor will my family or most of my friends. Many hotels are now advising guests not to use Uber, but as I said, maybe I’m biased and maybe that’s because Mrs. LP and my 13 year old were robbed at gunpoint involving a Uber driver!

Ridesharing Incidents

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/aug/13/uber-failing-to-report-sex-attacks-by-drivers-says-met-police

I’d rather stay safe than sorry.

penfold69
    Participant

Another thing to remember with UBER regarding cost, is that they subsidise the cost of each trip making it cheaper. Essentially undercutting the traditional taxi drivers.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=826494]Maybe I’m biased, but I’ll never use them again, nor will my family or most of my friends. Many hotels are now advising guests not to use Uber, but as I said, maybe I’m biased and maybe that’s because Mrs. LP and my 13 year old were robbed at gunpoint involving a Uber driver!

‘Ridesharing’ Incidents

<iframe class=”wp-embedded-content” sandbox=”allow-scripts” security=”restricted” style=”position: absolute; clip: rect(1px, 1px, 1px, 1px);” src=”http://www.whosdrivingyou.org/rideshare-incidents/embed#?secret=49TQ0z6MGi&#8221; data-secret=”49TQ0z6MGi” width=”500″ height=”282″ title=”Embedded WordPress Post” frameborder=”0″ marginwidth=”0″ marginheight=”0″ scrolling=”no”></iframe>

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/aug/13/uber-failing-to-report-sex-attacks-by-drivers-says-met-police

I’d rather stay safe than sorry.

[/quote]

I am sorry for what happened to Ms. LP and your son. It could have happened however with any minicab. That said, all drivers should be checked, whether they are taxi, minicab or Uber drivers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls