Uber – indication of fare to final invoice

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am a big fan and user of Uber and generally use the app, a couple of times a week.

What I am currently finding is the indicated fare provided when you request an Uber is vastly different from the final invoiced fare.

I understand the fare will flex, due to traffic and route, but checking my last 5 Uber journeys, after a night out, when the roads were empty and the route taken was as per the driver’s route map, the final invoice has been close to double the indicated fare.

Uber do allow passengers to make “observations” but looking through the list of automated options on the help key, there is no drop down to comment on the above subject.

Does anyone else have a similar experience with Uber invoicing and is there any comeback/protection for Uber users..?

Tramor01
    Participant

Martyn – I had a similar issue in February regarding a ride in from Newark Airport to the Financial district in Manhattan.

I was quoted $48 when I booked – but when I checked the cost at my hotel a little later – I’d been charged $68+. (I’d been double charged tolls, plus the driver had charged back to a location in NJ). This driver also asked me for a tip!!!

There is a help option on the app which allows you to select a completed trip which can be found under trips and fares review.
    You click on the trip cost you are questioning and select report an issue with this trip. You’re then given various options regarding refunds etc.

I hope this helps

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I have had the same issue on a few occasions the last one being in Leeds where the driver was not from the city and took the wrong route to my home. Since I had a few beers inside me, it was better to not say anything to the driver but to follow up later.
    I contacted Uber through ‘My Account’ on the website – Can’t actually recall how, but, all I got was a standard reply that the fare “is within our expected range”

MrMichael
    Participant

I used to use Uber quite a bit. Stopped using them a lot of time due to surge pricing. In principle I thought Surge pricing was a great idea, however I now know it is manipulated in some cases. The drivers have a whatsapp group they use to take turns in logging off to force surge pricing in to effect. Not aware it happens in London but a reliable source tells me it does in Reading, Portsmouth & Southampton.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Not really in tune with the original question but, I do not use UBER when they put surge pricing in place.
    I’ll just use another carrier.

Jonathon
    Participant

I don’t use it a lot in the UK, but I’ve been using it in Singapore a lot this week and haven’t noticed this at all.

Jakarta last week on the other hand… well that is a whole other kettle of fish.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I use Uber a fair amount when abroad (rarely in the UK).

My main gripe recently was in Dubai, where I waited for a driver for a long period (20 minutes, and then a further 20 minutes when the app showed he was just round the corner).

Since the app kept indicating he was about to arrive, then 10 minutes away, then about to arrive, then 10 minutes away, and so on, I eventually cancelled and then rebooked with another uber driver, who was on time.

I was then charged a cancellation fee for the first driver, since, guess what, he was only a few minutes away when I cancelled.

I challenged the fee, the fee was waived, and then they charged it anyway.

Still, I suppose we ought to be glad that someone is bankrolling them (not me, it really wasn’t enough money to spend more time disputing)

Uber registers $2.8bn loss in 2016 expansion drive

Uber recorded a $2.8bn loss in 2016 in the middle of an aggressive global expansion, cementing its place as the most heavily-lossmaking private company in the history of Silicon Valley.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Tom

Careem is a better servie than Uber in the Gulf.

http://www.careem.com

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I challenged a fee once, when the driver never turned up. It was repaid in the form of a voucher which I used for my next trip.

Ahmad
    Participant

[quote quote=802749]Tom

[/quote]

Agreed. Try Careem when in the Gulf Tom and please let’s know how it fares.

capetonianm
    Participant

I was a great fan of Uber, used them in South Africa, UK, Ireland, Spain, Portugal and France. At the beginning, my experiences were 90% positive. I stopped using them about 6 months as the majority of my more recent experiences were negative, mostly for the reasons cited above, and once, a vehicle in very poor condition. I am sure it had passed its roadworthy test, but it was scruffy, tatty, rattly, and dirty.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

[quote quote=802754]

Tom

Agreed. Try Careem when in the Gulf Tom and please let’s know how it fares.

[/quote]

Will do – fair fares for all.

K1ngston
    Participant

Generally Uber are very good, I use them regularly in the UK and never have any issues, they turn up promptly and when I used them last week in London and had to change my destination the driver was helpful and made the experience all the better! The same trip from Covent Gdn to our accommodation in Kensington in a Black Cab would have been 35% more expensive and I cannot justify using them..

On the downside here in Singapore, they tend to pretend they are lost and when you cancel you are charged a cancellation fee, I go on the website and challenge and every time I am debited the amount back

As to your point Martyn I have started to check if what you say is true and will report back I dont think its happened but really couldn’t say with any conviction….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls