Uber from Heathrow pick up point

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Kopite
    Participant

Does anyone have advice on how to specify a pick up point at Heathrow if booking via the Uber app? Is there a generally recognised and agreed area at each of the terminals for Uber pick up?

The Heathrow Hoppa bus charged 5 pounds per person just to get to an airport hotel nearby so if 2 pax would it be better and easier just to book Uber for a short trip to a hotel nearby?

Any thoughts or suggestions please?

first_class_please
    Participant

All major airport pick up advice on their app / website:-

https://www.uber.com/airports/lhr/

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Getting from Heathrow to Central London

Uber
    Heathrow regulates Uber drivers (and other car share services)
    Instructions to passengers are here
    Where to meet your driver at LHR Airport
    T2 | Level 1: Row L | Wait for your driver at Short Stay Car Park 2
    T3 | Level 3: Row A | Wait for your driver at Short Stay Car Park 3
    T4 | Level 1: Central Lifts | Wait for your driver at Short Stay Car Park 4
    T5 | Level 1: Row A & F | Wait for your driver at Short Stay Car Park 4

capetonianm
    Participant

The first time I used Uber from LHR I was afraid it would be a nightmare as I was then not aware of the information that Tom has posted above. What happened was that the driver called me with clear instructions and it worked like a dream, and whenever I’ve used Uber since it has been the same.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

HAL provide a waiting space for mini cab/Uber drivers in a central location (for a fee of course) to stop drivers from hanging around, inside the airport and clogging up roads outside. Usually, when you book an Uber (in my case from T5), they will take around 10-12 minutes to reach the collection point which will be given to you by the driver or the app. Usually it will be a car park level & a letter denoting which part of the car park you should wait.

As Capetonianm says, all very easy and straightforward, but remember, you will need to wait for the driver, rather than the driver waiting for you…

K1ngston
    Participant

What about booking it whilst still on the plane as taxiing Martyn so that he’s waiting for you??

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Interesting K1ngston – especially if you are still on the runway. Not sure even with my security clearance at Heathrow I could pull that one off!

If you are being serious – sorry mate, I never know – I tend to make the reservation once I ready to leave the baggage hall.. so by the time I find where to meet, it only takes a few minutes..

K1ngston
    Participant

Martyn, Martyn, Martyn, you mean you dont turn on your phone when you land like everyone else on the plane??

I was actually being serious for once, but thank you for the “vote of confidence” 🙂 Last time I needed an Uber at Heathrow I ordered it on the plane and it was at the pick up point when I arrived almost perfect timing … as you know I always travel light!!!

capetonianm
    Participant

I am not sure what the problem is with using the phone whilst you’re taxiing because with most airlines once you’ve cleared the active runway they are quite happy for you to switch on and use transmitting devices. Regardless of that most people seem to do it anyway.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“capetonianm” – if you order the Uber whilst you are taxying, how does the app know which terminal you are going to …..?

capetonianm
    Participant

“capetonianm” – if you order the Uber whilst you are taxying, how does the app know which terminal you are going to …..?

Fair enough, but that wasn’t my point. I wouldn’t order the Uber until I was through immigration and baggage collection if applicable, as you never know how long that will take.

All I meant was that there is no problem with using a phone whilst taxying/taxiing (both spellings are correct) as long as the active runway has been exited.

K1ngston
    Participant

Martyn, I dont understand, surely you know which terminal you are going into when you land in Heathrow, I mean I dont live in the UK anymore but know exactly which terminal my flight is arriving into..

BA generally 5 with a few exceptions
    Star Alliance Terminal 2
    Some of the ME 4 others 3
    Trans Continental 3

It would be an issue here in SG as from time to time flights will end up in different terminals especially if you are flying SQ!!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I stand to be corrected, but when you order the Uber, doesn’t the app recognise your position (and Terminal) you are either in or within the vicinity of… ?

K1ngston
    Participant

You can manually input as the app is generally not accurate …..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls