TSA child pat downs

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

• HongKongLady
    Participant

This a problem that had been reported on US news fairly often… in a recent event a child was chased by security because she was frighten at being grabbed because she went to her grandmother whom as she had a metal impant had to be additionally searched.
    Had a problem in Toronto a number of years ago while travelling with my autistic child whom I had explained procedures to and had indeed passed through security numerous times before, unfortunately we met Miss Stupid the security lady . It seems that security staff are even more difficult to reason with than those with a learning disability ! The up surge in problems in the US has put me off taking him to his favourite Disney world. doessn’t seem worth the hassle and there are so many more countries with a less extreme but equally thorough security system.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Give an employee responsibilty (which security certainly is) and its taken as “power”.

Charles-P
    Participant

It is interesting to see the different attitudes in different countries. The staff at Brussels used to be appalling but have clearly had training as the entire procedure is now done politely and with respect. Other countries I have experienced recently

Heathrow Terminal 5 – polite and always seem to be in a good mood
    Prague – complete disinterest, made me feel like a piece of meat
    Las Vegas – Security guard maintained a conversation with a colleague while patting me down and sent me on my way with “you can leave now”. Could not resist replying, “call me”
    Vienna – Austrohungarian efficieny at its best
    Paris – security guard had eaten a vast quantity of garlic with subsequent effect on breath, not nice
    Abu Dhabi – received compliment on my shirt, apology for having to search me, cheery wish to me of good journey
    Tel Aviv – swift, efficient, polite with that hint of menace the Israeli security always seems to have

LuganoPirate
    Participant

My 12 year old was patted down at LCY and ZRH on the same trip. It was a coincidence but in both cases I was asked to watch the procedure, which was explained, the reason given, which was random and selected by the scanner, then carried out in a very friendly manner.

My boy was not traumatised and we carried on.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I have no problem with children being searched, but it has to be done with sensitivity. If that means taking a little more time with a nervous child so its parents/carers can explain what is going on, so be it. What I cannot and will not tolerate is the sort of behaviour my wife and daughter experienced a couple of years back (I wasn’t there, which is just as well, because I would have made much more of a scene than my wife did) is children being patted down without the parent being “right there” – my daughter went through the scanner first, my wife was still loading things on to the belt, and the security guard (male) started a full pat-down while my wife was still 20 feet away and unable to see clearly what was going on. My wife was livid, as you can imagine.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@ Ian_from_HKG – 10/05/2012 01:13 GMT

the frequent comments whenever an uncomfortable situation occurs, whether to an adult or a child are the lack of accountibilty or care by those carrying out the search.

Are you able to report which airport this happened at and whether your wife received an apology or I am just doing my job Miss attitude, in between chewing gum!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Sadly I can’t recall the airport, and the response was typical “jobsworth” (so it was probably Heathrow)

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls