Travel precautions you should take

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

• britbloke007
    Participant

This happened to me in Lagos – a very smart guy approached me with a card with my name on saying he was my driver. I was about to go with him when my sixth sense red flagged, so I asked him which hotel he was taking me to. He said “Victoria Island” but there’s loads of hotels there, so I pressed him on which one and he fled. A few minutes later a scruffy guy approached and he WAS my driver – knowing the correct hotel etc. He said it was a common scam and they got the names of passengers by bribing VS staff and approaching the foreigners with their small list of western sounding names. Had I got into his car, I would have been robbed and dumped – or worse.

handbag
    Participant

I have a photo copy of my passport and driving licence in case they go missing. I also have a photograph of them on my phone. It is really handy on your phone when you are filling out forms and need the details and don’t necessarily have the documents with you. I have other family menders as well, as often book things for them.

JPNU
    Participant

Cedric, I laughed out loud at your scale and traffic light test but only because I use similar.

It is an easy shorthand as opposed to having to wade through a ten page security briefing which is largely irrelevant information.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=851556]I carry a “dummy wallet” – a wallet stuffed with useless cards and a variety of currencies, all in low denomination notes (Chinese yuan, Chilean pesos, and the like). I haven’t been asked to hand over my wallet at knifepoint yet, but…[/quote]

I have been doing the same for years – but fortunately haven’t yet been mugged! However, I was scammed a week ago at an ATM in London by a very clever pair who used the “Lebanese Loop”** to get my card and pin number, and took the card whilst I was inside the bank reporting that my card had been swallowed up.

They used a different bank to get £300 from me within a couple of minutes, about 3 minutes quicker than I was able to block the card. I got my money back from RBS within 3 working days. From now onwards I will not use an on-street ATM (except with a pre-paid card with no more than £50 on it); I will only use a machine inside a bank.

** read about this on Google

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=851554]

Keep a copy of your credit card details so you know which ones have been stolen and can report them if they are

I do this, but I also make sure the details include the ‘Lost or Stolen Card’ number which is printed on the back of the cards! Saves a lot of faffing about.
    [/quote]

I have had all our cards and other details (such as passports) registered with Sentinel, so it’s just one phone call for everything, in an emergency. I got back a set of keys dropped in Singapore airport (without realising until arriving back in London) just 7 days later, via the Sentinel tag attached to them.

Not quite part of this topic, but we have luggage tags for our suitcases, provided by Sentinel, with unique tag numbers on each. I know other companies do the same (discussed here many times). However, before we leave, I take a photo of each suitcase, and email these to myself, adding the tag number for the suitcases to each photo emailed. Much easier to deal with at the lost Luggage desk in the arrival terminal!

GivingupBA
    Participant

ASK1945 said, From now onwards I will not use an on-street ATM (except with a pre-paid card with no more than £50 on it); I will only use a machine inside a bank.
    [/quote]

Absolutely right, me too. For many years now I have always, always used the ATMs inside the bank building – a safer option that the ones in the street methinks.

stevescoots
    Participant

same for me, unless its an emergency i never use outdoor ATM’s or those inside a branch when the main branch is closed. I started doing that years ago Not because I had been scammed but because I requsted £200 but got nothing except a transaction complete message, took me 6 months to get my money credited

canucklad
    Participant

A simple tip with ATM’s , try and see if it can you a transaction receipt before using it. And always take a receipt at the end.
    I know that most of us are experienced travellers, but for those who are not, there is a big difference between a recognised bank ATM and all these currency exchange machines that seem to be appearing, particularly in tourist hotspots.
    And even if your using a recognised bank, be careful to navigate the (deliberately) confusing language and ensure you select the home (your) rate.
    Gave up trying to explain the differences to the young crew last eek in Tenerife

Edit to add : On a more practical note, since I travel light,I carry a wee bag of soap powder. plus a few tablets for dodgy stomachs, headaches and gas!

K1ngston
    Participant

Actually you make a very valuable point canucklad, as seasoned travellers I hope you all have good comprehensive travel insurance and health cover?

I heard that an old colleague of mine suffered a nasty fall whilst away on business recently and was rushed to a hospital and was very well looked after and the medical service offered was second to none ( his words)

What he didnt have was viable travel insurance and his fall and second to none medical service cost him a cool $35K yes I know I will write it again $35K and wasn’t allowed to leave the country without having paid his bill…

I immediately got my Business Partner and I fully covered on Health and Travel Insurance and for a small difference he was able to cover his family and my husband also

As for the dodgy stomach tablets, plasters and painkillers never leave home without them!

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls