Travel Insurance and EU261

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

I was just looking at some travel insurance for my eldest boy, when I saw it covers flight delay over 6 hours.
    I was wondering if that is over and above what you would get from the airline, or do you have to forfeit your EU261 compensation to the insurance company?

Anyone have any ideas or experience?

SwissExPat
    Participant

In the past, I have received both following a cancellation and re-booking (and I work in the insurance business)

I cant see any issue where these are simply basic payments that are made if and when a specific event happens.

I would liken it to having 2 or more life insurance policies and these all paying out on the event of death.

However..

If the insurance seeks to ‘Indemnify’ you for a specific loss (i.e reinstate you into the same position as if the loss event did not take place) then if one company does this then you may not claim from a second or more company i.e you are profiting from the occurrance of the insured event. A specific example would be if the Airline replaces your lost luggage or provided you with new Clothing or immediate necessities, then you should not be able to claim this twice over. For these claims, an insurer will usually ask you if you are also insured or indemnified by another insurer/Party and if so, they will seek a partial payment from the other insurer or net off any payments received.

In terms of E261 this is a statutory Cash payment for delay/inconvenience. It would be very difficult to ascertain what the exact value of your inconvenience was/is (missed meetings, loss of holiday enjoyment). So if another insurance policy pays out a fixed sum (in my case it was anotehr Euro 200 approx) then I would consider that these amount would be collectable without a problem.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls