The value of Part Pay With Avios

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• Bath_VIP
    Participant

Having said I don’t use avios for continental travel, I have just booked a one way from Hamburg to Heathrow in June for 4K + £17.50. Equivalent fare was 97 euros so I reckon I’ve made a £60 saving which is about twice as valuable as PPWA.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=848883]Having said I don’t use avios for continental travel, I have just booked a one way from Hamburg to Heathrow in June for 4K + £17.50. Equivalent fare was 97 euros so I reckon I’ve made a £60 saving which is about twice as valuable as PPWA.
    [/quote]

RFS (reward flight savers) can be really good value.

Funnily enough, I’ve just booked a return to the ME and as I have more than enough avios in stock for a couple of city breaks, I decided to cash in 16,000 (which I’ll nearly earn from the trip) and reduce the price to under £500 for WTP.)

As I’m not interested in trying to find long haul redemptions, £110 off is perfectly acceptable – as Martyn Sinclair would say, BA are subsidising my flight.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

Taking the poor “exchange rate” aside, one main problem I have found is you can not part pay with Avios on a mixed cabin booking. I would regularly fly out WTP and back CW. It will not give you the option. Is this due to be changed?

openfly
    Participant

@Mr Bond….I have tried booking an WTP/Y return booking and, yes, impossible to do on the revamped BA.com. Spoke to the Exec Club and they agreed that, at the mom, it cannot be done. They would pass the problem to the BA IT dept in India. In BA nothing can be rectified quickly or with any urgency so don’t hold your breath to revert to the old system.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

I’m bringing this thread back due to the discussion about Avios on another thread as I’ve just realised I’ve overlooked another advantage of PPWA.

Redemption bookings do not earn Tier Points, PPWA do earn Tier Points.

So whilst my financial breakeven point in the LHR-MSY in J example I used was £1733, you will earn less Tier Points with redemption bookings than you will with PPWA. Based on the value you place on Bronze/Silver/Gold membership, that will push the breakeven point up even more.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls