The ME3 in 10-15 years time.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Excellent posts everyone, thank you.

Speedbird1994, I think this might be the piece

Is Emirates Airline Running Out of Sky?

“With Trump and his ilk ascendant, one Emirates ad sums up a corporate ethos that feels increasingly at odds with the times: “Tomorrow thinks borders are so yesterday.””

AMcWhirter
    Participant

So as noted earlier EY’s Melbourne route A380 is being diverted to Sydney.

Etihad’s twice-daily Sydney service to become all A380

Meanwhile EK expands in Spain. All flights will soon be operated by A380s.

Dubai’s Emirates to fly only A380 jets to Spain

While QR is adding a fifth Doha-Bangkok service from June.

Qatar Airways to add fifth daily non-stop flight from Doha to Bangkok

FDOS_UK
    Participant

May I respectfully point out that the far horizon of business strategic planning is usually considered to be ~5 years.

For a 5-10 period perspective, it may be possible to do some scenario planning, to identify (to some degree) what may happen based on regression analysis and carefully crafted assumptions.

But to look forward 15 years is really just wishful thinking and beyond reasonable contemplation.

alainboy56
    Participant

Having read all submissions here, I find all thoughts very interesting indeed.
    However I had said to many people when DWC was opened, probably about 10 years ago, that this would eventually become ABU DUBAI Airport and that EY/EK would become one, and called maybe Emirates Union (Etihad means Union in arabic). The airport is as someone above said, near to Abu Dhabi border (about 7kms only) and I had also then suggested that they will move the border to run straight down the centre line of the runway.
    Then in 2008 came the ‘big crash; and its no secret that things changed dramatically for the ‘Noisy Neighbours’ down the road. Someone above mentioned, when talking about EK, that the owners have deep pockets, well this is no longer true, and it depends on which owners you refer to. Many, many things are not as one would be led to believe.

AussieJohn
    Participant

If there is a big contraction in the future, and a merger of ME airlines, what will this do to Airbus and Boeing I wonder.

There might be more at stake here, if the market for planes tapers off.

rferguson
    Participant

I picked up a copy of BT’s Indian edition last week. It was interesting how it refers to Etihad as the ‘UAE’s flagship carrier’.

Also totally off topic but was amusing to me. The indian edition had a main feature on HK and was discussing the immigrant population:
    ‘Others who largely dominate this immigrant population include Indonesians, Filipinos and whites…’. I did think to myself how it would have gone down in the UK edition had ‘whites’ been replaced with a different colour. By the way i’m discussing this as something purely amusing that made me chuckle a little I didn’t get a bee in my bonnet about it just in case anyone misreads me. 🙂

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=804473]I picked up a copy of BT’s Indian edition last week. It was interesting how it refers to Etihad as the ‘UAE’s flagship carrier’.
    [/quote]

THat’s interesting, I guess it depends on how you define ‘flagship’, EY has the most impressive cabin (the residence).

AFAIK, when Abu Dhabi withdrew support for Gulf Air and started Etihad, the story was it was the national carrier of the UAE because it was based at AUH, which is the capital of the UAE.

On the other hand, given the size of Emirates, I think it is obvious which is the main carrier of the UAE 🙂

thebigseats
    Participant

DWC may be 7km to Abu Dhabi’s border but it’s a good hour or more’s drive into the city of Abu Dhabi. Hardly convenient. Plus the new AUH Midfield airport is costing billions. DWC will likely never be AUH’s main airport.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Not to be overlooked is Gulf Air and Bahrain.

Bahrain (the Gulf hub used by many airlines when plying Europe-Asia decades ago) is looking to expand in a big way.

http://www.theworldfolio.com/interviews/bahrain-airport-company-undergoing-11bn-expansion-project/4348/

penfold69
    Participant

I think transfer time between Dubai & Abu Dhabi and any airport in the region might be reduced significantly if they go ahead with the Hyperloop…. Telegraph – Hyperloop . If EK & EY merged, would they need both airports to cope with their huge size of fleet and amount of flights?

thebigseats
    Participant

Back in 2010, Etihad Rail told me that “in just a few years” they would have a very fast rail link between Abu Dhabi & Dubai. Yeah right! The Hyperloop? Expect it in……..LOL.

alainboy56
    Participant

@Bigseats – an hour? – so how long is a taxi ride from LHR to Central London on a Monday morning at 8am??
    And the city of AD is moving out off the island. This has been their plan for many years. There will be a new sector built called Zayed City between AUH and MBZ City and this will house all Ministeries/Diplomatic areas. As for the new midfield terminal costs at AUH, so what about the T3 and the recent new extension at DXB, how much did that cost, but it is still confirmed that EK is moving to DWC, I think in within 5 years, so do not write that idea off – when I said it will happen, I did not mean tomorrow, but it WILL happen eventually. The owners must consolidate their strengths, EY is unravelling due to Hogans mismanagement, but they have a good product, and EK have the market penetration so I believe we just have to wait and see what does happen.

Dominic Ellis
    Participant

Dubai Airports is investing US$7.8 billion in airport and airspace expansion which will boost capacity at Dubai International from 60 million to 90 million passengers per year by 2018. Last year it handled 83.6 million. Officially, the date we’ve been told for Emirates to move to DWC is 2025.

Edski777
    Participant

EY have just sacked Hogan according to an article in the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf. He’ll be leaving officially on July 1, 2017.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls