The Fifteen Billion Pound Railway – Documentary on Crossrail

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

1nfrequent
    Participant

Just wondered if any of the UK-based BTers was watching the above documentary on the Crossrail project in London? I caught up on the first episode and it’s absolutely fascinating to see the engineering skill involved (the way they drilled past the escalators was incredible). As a Londoner, it was also great to see what those giant holes are for as I’d been wondering about them for ages but could never see any signage to explain what they were for.

Only thing that struck me was with the Soho House plaster damage – I wished they’d explained why the damage had got so bad given they were using the injection device to try and stop it. Would have been good to be told if it wasn’t working or if they’d left it too late or if the damage was inevitable (and if so, what Crossrail was going to do to fix it and when they’d do it).

Tonight’s episode focuses on tunnelling under the Thames. I had some involvement with London Underground a few years ago so I’m looking forward to this because of the technical challenges.

Anyway, given the controversy about the project I was interested in knowing what other posters here thought. 🙂

1F

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I watched it last night – very interesting, and astonishing how they can lift up parts of the Square which are subsiding.
    I got the impression that the monitors showed the movement, and so the work was done to prevent any further damage.
    Just a point – Soho House http://www.sohohouse.com/ is a members club nearby but it was unaffected – this was the House of St Barnabas, also a members Club, but not-for-profit

http://hosb.org.uk/become-a-member/

BigDog.
    Participant

Am waiting to find out where those millions of tons of “London Clay” that have been dug out are being disposed of.

And yes Tom high pressure mortar injection is moving/raising buildings!

mkcol74
    Participant

Missed this – which channel was it?

BigDog.
    Participant

mkcol74 – 23/07/2014 19:46 GMT

BBC2 9pm Tonight (Wednesday)

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

BigDog, it is my understanding that the tunnel workings are being loaded onto barges and are being towed somewhere along the Thames Estuary/East Anglian coast where the spoil is being used for coastal barrier defences in conjunction with producing wet lands for a bird sanctuary. But others may have more up-to-date knowledge.

I shall have to catch up with this on iPlayer upon my return to DoB.

Tim2soza
    Participant

It is on BBC iPlayer too for those who missed the first excellent episode.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Here’s the link to the website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04b7h1w

BigDog.
    Participant

Thanks Anthony & Jordan – am duly enlightened.

BigDog.
    Participant

Final part (of 3) on BBC2 Wed 30th at 9pm

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls