T5 Monorail Pods….when?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

• Anonymous

Binman62
    Participant

It is now almost 2 years since T5 started operations. The monorail PODS however, still lie idle. They were supposed to operate bewteen the business car park and T5 but does anyone out there know when they will begin operations. The BAA teasingly suggest spring 2010!

continentalclub
    Participant

The (Welsh) manufacturer’s (North America) website ‘latest schedule’ page also suggests late Spring:

http://bit.ly/2ItiBz

VintageKrug
    Participant

Passenger trials happened late March. You can see a video here:

http://www.ultraprt.com/news/61/149/Passenger-Trials-at-Heathrow/

VintageKrug
    Participant

Are these up and running yet?

Binman62
    Participant

No but due date is now the “12th of never !!!”

Funding is a problem as it was diverted to give the CEO a bonus after he got out his shovel and moved the snow himself.

stevescoots
    Participant

I saw them working in feb, but maybe a trial

LiamAsh
    Participant

The company that manufactured and owned the software for the monorail went bust in 2010…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

and……………………..???????

next………………….??

robsmith100
    Participant

I was up at LHR most of this morning and the pods where certainly in use, but due to the tinted windows it was hard to see if there where people in them. One thing that was different from last time I saw the pods was that this time they had been painted purple with Heathrow logos on them.

Merlin1
    Participant

Anybody k now how much money the BAA have wasted here on this toy railway? I drive by frequently to/from T5 with overseas colleagues who express amazement with it. More importantly how can this earn revenue or even reduce road transfer when multiple buses and other airport shuttle buses pass the car park entrance itself.

transtraxman
    Participant

This is what I found out about the subject.
    “Heathrow PRT pod passenger trials underway”

http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news/article/heathrow-prt-pod-passenger-trials-underway/

Binman62
    Participant

They have been running on a trial basis since last August. Sadly as with all infrastructure projects handled by the BAA, this one is also a farce. T5C will be the next one though from other sites I see they have already had some stunning mess ups with the limited trial they are running now.

JasonEvans
    Participant

They are up and running! Went in one yesterday, very efficient, ends up at Level 2 of the short term car park

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls