T5: Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here?

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)

• ConstantFlyer
    Participant

There comes a point when expansion no longer brings benefits. Heathrow (already the equivalent of four airports – T1, T3, T4 and T5 – operating with two runways between them) has been too big for many years, and any further expansion would be counter-productive.

I have said it before and will say it again: It makes no sense for people travelling to or from the English regions to clog up London’s airspace, roads or public transport system. They should be able to fly from regional airports. The Loco revolution has gone a long way to achieving that, but long-haul still remains a challenge.

VintageKrug
    Participant

This is not about the regions; they can continue on their merry way using local airports for shorthaul.

This is about International Hub Capacity; people changing planes in London from all over the world.

Four runways at LHR is politically unacceptable; the noise and pollution over London would be impossible to bear, and each of those runways would be closed 25% of the day – meaning the for the capacity of three runways elsewhere, you’d have to build four at LHR.

It doesn’t stack up.

It is bonkers and will NEVER happen.

BigDog.
    Participant

As the vast majority of your assertions/predictions prove to be totally wrong, the proponents for additional runway(s) will start planning a party in Richmond Park.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ BigDog. – 20/09/2012 22:02 GMT

Where they are likely to be pelted with Waitrose canapés, smoked salmon roulades etc from the locals and “egged on” with gull and quail eggs by VK… For myself, the new extended range SuperShooter-346ER with strap-on tanks is ready for deployment.

You should also be aware that Fenton is still on the loose:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmpONxJ7JSw

And Cookie as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3cdM0HZC2A&feature=youtu.be

But isn’t this thread is supposed to be about TERMINAL 5?

VintageKrug
    Participant

….and now, five years on from its first week of operation, it’s fair to say that T5 is functioning excellently, while BAA/HAL continue to create problems with their substandard security channels.

At least there are more of them, but heaven help us once the recession ends, A380s come online and demand increases. I predict five years from now, the big story at T5 will be one of overcrowding.

KeaneJohn
    Participant

I don’t think its fair to say that T5 is functioning excellently.

Not enough tugs for push back, not enough de-icers when for the UK springtime, and when you have been de-iced, theres not enough tugs so you have to wait to push back again.

Of course, Terminal 5 was supposed to house all BA flights, yet there is the ludicrous operation at T3. I have excluded T1 because the bmi acquisition wasn’t thought of 5 years ago.

Lounges turning eligible passengers away because they can’t follow direction and theres too many staff to brief as now its a free for all.

T5 is still a far from perfect experience.

Jimmywright
    Participant

I would have thought tugs etc would have been a BA issue. As for the lounge I am curious about your comment that eligible passengers are getting turner away because they cannot follow direction. What’s the go with that?

KeaneJohn
    Participant

I think the recent comment implies that BA have their finger on the pulse in T5 5 years on which they do not.

There are quite a few people on another forum claiming they are being turned away from lounges when they should have access. This seems to be on either Reward Flight Saver bookings with Domestic connections or on through tickets in a premium cabin where the domestic or other European sector is on the same day or a different day.

BA’s response is that it is too complicated to code boarding cards, we can’t brief the staff because there is so many of them, the rules are too complicated.

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls