Stranded passengers at Belfast City Airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• Travellator
    Participant

3 cancelled flights to LHR today so 300 + people not able to travel.
    Cold comfort from BA is phone number which rings out continually and the possibility of not getting home until 2 or 3 January !

No offer of accomodation or other efforts to make the delay less traumatic !

WillieWelsh
    Participant

Book Ryanair next time, they’ll take better care of you.

openfly
    Participant

Yup…the thick fog in the London area was all BAs fault.

SimonS1
    Participant

With 120+ flights cancelled so far, not a single landing at LCY all day and more of the same expected tomorrow I am sure things are stretched to the limit.

PhilipHart
    Participant

@SimonS1, I was going to question your assertion, on the grounds that I watched enviously at PMI as a BA Embraer departed (a little bit late) for LCY, while I had to hang around for a few hours waiting for my Norwegian flight back to LGW.

However, when I checked FlightRadar24 just now, I discovered that the LCY flight was actually diverted to MAN 🙁

So I apologise for thinking your were BSing.

And I am also immensely grateful that – in spite of the delay – I did actually arrive at my expected destination, rather than a 4-5 hour coach ride away!

SimonS1
    Participant

Indeed – I believe there were times when the weather at LCY might lift and there were a few flights that got away first thing. The BA PMI was one of them and might have been the aircraft you saw as the return was indeed diverted.

A cynic might suggest its better to tell people at 35,000 feet that they have been diverted. If told before boarding it could get messy with people offloading, bags to be recovered etc.

Tomorrow doesn’t sound much better so if you are home and dry I would chalk that up as a success.

I would say BA are under max pressure at present, at an airport like LHR which operates at capacity the slightest weather issue can cause turmoil for travellers.

I know its easy for the comedians in our midst to make silly comments like ‘book Ryanair’ as part of some anti BA agenda – in some cases maybe but if connecting onwards to another destination isn’t always helpful. I have never been pro BA but the weather at present really is exceptional.

PhilipHart
    Participant

Yes @SimonS1, I am most grateful that I got back “home and dry”!

BTW, you’ve just reminded me of this excellent track – Pet Shop Boys – Home And Dry 🙂

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=783630]Yes @SimonS1, I am most grateful that I got back “home and dry”!

BTW, you’ve just reminded me of this excellent track – Pet Shop Boys – Home And Dry ?

[/quote]

Very good. There may be a need for some impromptu entertainment for stranded travellers tonight….

FDOS_UK
    Participant

The concerns I have over the OPs comments involve phones not being answered and no offer of care.

If the weather is exceptional (and I have no reason to doubt SimonS1’s comment, as it is nice and clear in the North), then in my opinion it requires an exceptional effort from the airline to meet its obligations under EC261.

One accepts that queues may be extended in providing care, but it should still be provided.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=783618]Yup…the thick fog in the London area was all BAs fault.

[/quote]

Fog in winter in the UK – hardly an extraordinary event, that could not be foreseen, is it?

If it is foreseeable, then contingency plans can be drafted and executed, to mitigate the effects of the event.

When I fell foul of the Parisien transport strike earlier in the year, easyJet worked with a booking agency to put me into a hotel at CDG. They also re-booked me on the next day’s flight.

This was all automated and done by email/text, triggered by easyJet.

I believe that this should be the standard for all airlines.

canucklad
    Participant

Sadly BA’s track record is as poor as the weather when it comes to managing bad weather situations. In fact when it comes to ensuring people are kept informed, allowing them to have clear choices, I’d suggest “foggy” works as a perfect metaphor for BA’s response.

Anyway,good luck and best wishes to anyone caught up in it,especially Travellator.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Is there a quicker way Belfast to London City other than a 40 minute flight plus 4 – 5 hour coach journey plus all the waiting around….?

Travellator
    Participant

Martyn, Its a Q400 so the flight is 1 hour plus.
    What coach journey do you mean ?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I was asking on the basis the London City flight was diverted and of course the airline would have a pretty good idea before t/o…. could passengers have been given a different option to get to their final destination, other than…. the flight plus coach journey plus waiting around…

What is the fastest non air route Belfast City to London City?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I suppose one could get the Enterprise train to Dublin (~2 hours), then fly from there – if one can find a free seat at this busy time of year.

Having done it in the past, it’s a stress free and comfortable journey and then one of the airport coaches gets to DUB in 30-40 mins.

Hope you got sorted out, Travellator, it’s so frustrating when something like this happens.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls