Sofitel Gatwick

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

PaulJennings
    Participant

An unexpected opportunity arose last week to experience the Sofitel Gatwick. I almost never stay at London airport hotels because I live to close to make it worthwhile. On this occasion an afternoon flight was cancelled and rearranged too early the following morning – I’ve made a separate post on this.

The hotel was therefore booked at the last minute – the internet showed a rate of £119 and this was also quoted to me over the phone. This doesn’t seem too bad for a 4/5* hotel at Gatwick and they didn’t try to fleece me by upping the rate at the last minute.
    The reservations staff were very friendly and helpful, both on the phone and in person. In fact all the staff on reception seemed to be straight out of the charm school. The hotel is attached to the North Terminal so is very handy – 2 minutes walk to the check in area makes it a good choice for early morning flights. The central atrium floods the place with natural light and gives an impression of modernity. Rooms are quite small but well laid out, with a high double bed, large desk and good quality bathroom with full size deep bath and shower, complete with L’Occitane en Provence toiletries. Décor is bland beige but none the worse for that.

Despite overlooking the drop off zone, our 6th floor room was quiet and if you lift your eyes to the horizon you are reminded that Gatwick is actually in the middle of some rather nice green countryside.

We had dinner in the main restaurant which was modern British food, with a reasonable choice of half a dozen or so starters, mains and desserts – £5 – 10 starters, £15 – £20 mains, extra for sides and a very limited and rather expensive wine list. The portions were generous and the quality was good – certainly this place would be one of the best restaurants in town in a typical English city. To be honest one well-trained waiter could have handled the dining room that no fewer than five very young staff were struggling with. But they were friendly and the food was served quickly.

I’d definitely recommend the Sofitel if you have an early morning flight and don’t fancy an early start.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s an excellent hotel.

Their T5 Sofitel is amongst the best Airport Hotels I have experienced, though not inexpensive.

OneA
    Participant

I would agree that the Sofitel brand is often under rated by individuals. I certainly rate the T5 Sofitel as the best airport hotel that I have stayed in anywhere. Great Spa, nice Club lounge with canapes in the early evening, really lovely rooms, fabulous Roux restaurant and impeccable service throughout. It is always an absolute pleasure to stay there and I even look forward to the drive down from Worcestershire (75 mins door to door) and the very easy parking under the hotel!

julmops
    Participant

I’ve spent one night in Sofitel Gatwick a few years ago for the same reason (early morning flight) and I’ve particularly enjoyed it.
    The best night sleep I had in years !!! The bed was so comfy that I thought changing my plans and staying there instead of going on holidays to Dominican Republic 😉

starflyer
    Participant

I’d agree with julmops and others: the Sofitel bed is one of the best in the industry 🙂 heavenly

I do have a thing for that French flair at their hotels. Makes a nice change from the US chains.

ANDREWYOUNG1
    Participant

Has anyone used the arrivals lounge at the Sofitel Gatwick recently – is it still a good place to freshen up after a red-eye and get some breakfast?

NTarrant
    Participant

The Hilton at LGW South is most comfortable, particularly executive rooms in the new wing. Not tried the Sofitel at LGW only at T5

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls