Should airline coverage be based on history or opportunity?

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

RichHI1
    Participant

I recently flew to Kinshasa and had Air France, SN or KQ as my choices. Into Africa Air France seems to rule the roost. Flying East the European coverage favours LH whereas to Latin America TAp and IB do well. Anyone going to the US, Canada or Australia does better with BA. Apart from LH this would align with history.

My question, should airline routes remain a historic colonial legacy for European and UK carriers? Should it be geographical or should it be on future opportunity?

North America will remain UK centric due to linguistics but should airlines approach other continents in a new way? With the A380 hub and spoke would be the business model but should flyers be consitioned to accept this?

As we finally exit the recession do we want to fly to Africa via Paris, China via Frankfurt or US via London? What about regions? Is it not reasonable to want to fly from MAN, LYS or HAM with direct service to major hubs e.g. LAX, PVG or JNB?

Not meant to be a BA discussion more general… Let’s hope.

NTarrant
    Participant

It is likely that there will still be oppportunities in former empire countries and of course the ties between the counties such as France and Africa.

Emerging markets are probably best opportunities for many as well as some traditional routes

Bucksnet
    Participant

Rich, we are not exiting recession, and I doubt there will ever be flights to/from the airports you state.

RichHI1
    Participant

Bucksnet, sloppy English, mea culpa. Perhaps more apt would be “At the point when”.
    Interesting thinks Osborne, Merkel et al are pursuing the wrong policies…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls