Ship hotel at Excel Centre

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

Charles-P
    Participant

Last week I attended the DSEI defence show and stayed for two nights at the Sunborn ship hotel on the river Thames. For anybody looking for something different I strongly recommend it. There are about 130 rooms with the majority having river views, the ship is moored right next door to the Excel exhibition centre and is just a short walk from the DLR. It made a really pleasant change to stay in a hotel that was a little different to the norm.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

I stayed on this ship last year and I completely agree it was well worth it. Prices are higher now than they were then. Especially good for aircraft spotters as it is under the flightpath to LCY! The only thing I didn’t like was the lack of streetlighting in the nearby area.

JeffD
    Participant

I recently had the pleasure on staying here. Its really worth every penny. The rooms were nicely appointed. I think they have improved the lighting around the area as I certainly did not notice that is was dark.

The food was also of an excellent standard. The night I stayed there the ship was busy but the ataff made every effort to ensure that all customers were well looked after – highly recommended.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Was perusing my older threads today and thought I would note that this ship was in Gibraltar last month when I visited. Didn’t stay on it but it was right by the runway. Anybody know where it will go next?

first_class_please
    Participant

There are 2, London & Gibraltar.

http://www.sunbornhotels.com/

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ve eaten there and the food was very good.
    It’s permanently moored there so not sailing anywhere!

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

I stayed there last year too. Fantastic service and the room I had (I think I got upgraded) was very luxurious. HIGHLY recommended.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

How many of you/us remember The Floating Hotel In Ho Chi Min City in the early nineties at a time when decent hotel accommodation was few and far between.

NTarrant
    Participant

During the Olympic Games in 2012, there were two cruise ships tied up there, might not be the current one, which acted as accommodation for bus drivers who were moving people to and from the various events.

The ship in question had a capacity of about 500 and it was full. One of the drivers had, I think it was, shingles and the captain decreed that there was a contagious disease on board and all occupants are in quarantine and won’t leave the ship. The director from the bus company spoke to the captain but he insisted that no one would leave the ship and it was his decision as the ship came under maritime law.

The directors last word to the captain was, fair enough but would he contact the games organising committee to explain why some 300 buses won’t be running the next day. After a few minutes the captain said ok they can leave the ship and the infected man will be placed in isolation in the sick bay!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls