Shanghai & Hong Kong Hotels .. advice please

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Bullfrog
    Participant

I’m visiting Shanghai soon, and its a choice between Shangri La and the Puli Hotel .. as I need to be in JingAn district.

Hong Kong, I’m used to staying at the Island Shangri La but looking for a change .. Four Seasons is rather over priced, so any other suggestions appreciated.

A good pool, steam room and a calm atmosphere are needed !

Thank you

frustratedflyer
    Participant

There are the two nearby hotels (JW & Conrad at Pacific Place). The Conrad I personally think is calmer and has bigger rooms as I recall.

Slightly further afield but still on this side of the harbour the Grand Hyatt which had a refurb about 12 months ago and has a nice pool area. There are of course the two Mandarin Oriental properties but if you want to try something new that has been trailed as something v good there is The Murray which has just opened. I have not seen it myself but am looking forward to my next trip to give it a go.

Never been in a steam room in Hong Kong so can’t comment whether any of these have them.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Happy to vouch for the Grand Hyatt as well. Very large pool for HK and there is a steam room as well.
    The Renaissance also shares the same pool, so another possible option for you.
    Conrad and JW Marriott are slightly better located than the above two, but their pools are smaller.
    Out of the above four the Grand Hyatt has the best club lounge, IMHO, larger than the others and has always been calm when I’ve visited.

I’ve only eaten at the two hotels you mention in Shanghai, so cannot offer a real opinion, other than I’d naturally be inclined to go with the Shangri-La.
    There is a Ritz Carlton close by.
    It could be worth considering the Swissotel, which has a good indoor pool.

cotswoldsw
    Participant

I’ve stayed at the Puli once, admittedly over six years ago, but loved it and would definitely go back. As for Hong Kong, I used to stay at the MO but am now smitten with the Upper House… It must be one of the best hotels in the world. No pool but everything else is top notch.

cwoodward
    Participant

Shanghai Jing-an: There is a very good St. Regis (Starwood) that I have used a couple of times and prefer to the Shangri-la.Rooms are large and very well appointed also it is close to underground station.
    Hong Kong: There is no longer a Ritz Carlton (AlanOrton1) on the Island it closed ) a few years ago (a new Ritz was opened in West Kowloon four/five years ago which is a top hotel with fantastic views and very worthy of the ‘Ritz’ brand.

However if you like the Pacific Place area yet want a change from the Shangri-La the only property of an equivalent standard to the Island Shangri-la would be (as cotswoldsw mentions) ‘The Upper House’ that Swire (who own the Pacific Place complex and also operate Cathay Pacific) opened a few years back. It would rate higher than ether the Conrad or the Marriott and is of course much newer and with more up to date facilities. The rate is about the same and it has excellent revues. Living in HK I have never stayed but we put up business associates there and I have had some excellent meals in the main restaurant and the Grey Bar is in my view one of the best in HK……..I know most of them reasonably well! On the 5th or 6th floor there is a good outdoor lawn area which as I recall is called ‘The Lawn’ for al-fresco drinks,lighter meals and such,a very pleasant oasis in the middle of HK Island (I was sure that BT reviewed the Upper House a couple of years ago but I cant seem to find it now)
    There is the very new 5 star ‘Murray’ hotel which is a conversion from an old but very pleasant government office block and a few hundred yards away from The Mandarin. It is operated by the same group that has the good Hong Kong Hotel (and others) in Kowloon. it is very new but by all accounts a good well positioned quality 5 star – although it would need to be very good to better the Upper House.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Thanks Cwoodward .. a pool and steam room are important facilities for me, so I have opted for the Four Seasons, although I know they can sometimes be ‘stuffy’ hotels. I’ll check out the Murray .. cheers

AlanOrton1
    Participant

cotswoldsw – I meant the Ritz Carlton in the JingAn district of Shanghai 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls