Same flights, different prices. Cheaper to book BA through Iberia site than BA!

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

I just booked some flights for the Memsahib from London to Barcelona. We were hum-ming and hah-ing about the trip since although we could get her to BCN very cheaply, the return flight was very expensive. I wondered whether perhaps Iberia would have cheaper flights, so I looked at their site – and managed to book the exact same flights, on BA metal.

The cost on BA’s site: GBP446.40. On Iberia’s site: EUR376.13 (GBP329.95 at today’s rates) – a discount of more than 26%!

Anyone who wants to check the discrepancy for themselves: Business class return, departing LHR at 19:15 on 25 Oct, returning 14:15 on 28 Oct.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ve seen this elsewhere as well. Not sure why but probably down to differing Algorithms.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Same same on BA / AA websites..

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Does it only work on codeshare routes?

nevereconomy
    Participant

Always much cheaper to book BA codeshare on the AA flight MAN-PHL…

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Maybe one of the forum TCs will comment, my initial reaction is that maybe Iberia had less expensive fare bucket availability still remaining, e.g. I class v D class?

I believe (maybe wrong) that they are given their own blocks of seats to sell.

capetonianm
    Participant

It depends on the type of code share agreement, whether it’s freesale or blocked space. As FDOS says, if the airlines’ inventories are not synchronised in real time then the class sold will differ.

Gold-2K
    Participant

I recently booked LHR/SEA on aa.com flying direct on BA flights. First Class on aa.com was £1 more expensive than Club on ba.com. Strangely AA also showed First as £400 cheaper than Club with the same fare rules/change fee. Guess it’s all about inventory with each of the One World partner airlines.

I always now check code share partners whenever I book – you can’t always rely on company travel agent to do that automatically. I’ve found its also always worth asking them to check business and first fares as there is often no logic to the fares they quote!

Inthesandpit
    Participant

I have always found all airlines sites confusing regarding fare calculations, how is this for confusing.

I have just booked my Xmas jaunt from the sandpit back to Blighty, BA UAE site was quoting 8050AED return, about1548 GBP for travel 19 Dec DXB-LHR returning 29 Dec LHR-DXB. Now as it is the ‘war offices’ major birthday on the 25th Dec and it has to be spent with the family oop north, we decided to treat ourselves to a long trip ex DXB after the festivities, I looked on the BA site so he could travel back with me on the 29th Dec ex LHR and return from DXB about 15th January, fare quoted on the BA UAE site 14000 AED (2700GBP), ok its different dates and in reverse but what a difference. So I used a VPN to connect with the UK, and the price quoted for same dates, same was flights was 1850 GBP (9620 AED).

I have often wondered whether to a) just get him a one way Avios to DXB and start the returns from here. (he travels out about 6 times a year), or b) use a travel counsellor to find the best deals, however those I have contacted are either not interested as the volume of business is not large enough or don’t reply.

I don’t consider EK as we had such a bad experience and vowed never to fly again with them – friends tell me their fares Ex DXB are much more expensive than ex LHR.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls