Ryanair will cancel dozens of flights every day for next six weeks

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 82 total)

• Flightlevel
    Participant

Looks like FR will have to cover rebooked flights on other airlines as well as/or if not compensation, according to The Independents travel correspondent.
    Maybe another €30m?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=827444]So how come Ryan are able to keep a ‘partial’ lid on this news. If BA did something similar there would be camera crews at LHR & Gatwick and the unions would be keep the management blunder, high profile…

[/quote]

Maybe two contributing factors?

1 – people’s expectations of the brand are low, unlike BA, where expectations are (unrealistically under the new regime) high, so there is less righteous indignation in the media’s audience and thus less of a driver to report?

2 – when they mess up, they ‘fess up and apologise (and the CEO fronts it up) – this has a certain grace that defuses some of the normal anger in repsonse to such events

Compare the below to BA’s public response (or lack of one) to the IT problems in May.

Whether you like O’Leary or hate him, he is very clear that Ryanair has messed up and expresses acknowledgement that they have caused millions unnecessary worry, as well as disrupting 400k plus pax and that they will leanr the lessons – it’s classic crisis management stuff, as they teach it at Harvard

capetonianm
    Participant

O’Leary has kissed the Blarney Stone and is able to charm people. Cruz has as much charm as a mouldy dishcloth, Walsh is arrogant but doesn’t pull it off in the way that O’Leary can, and both of them are devious where MoL is honest.

trident3
    Participant

‘MOL’ and ‘honest’ are phrases seldom, if ever, seen in the same room, let alone sentence !
    Maybe when all else has failed ? Many chickens, many roosts…

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=827925]‘MOL’ and ‘honest’ are phrases seldom, if ever, seen in the same room, let alone sentence !
    Maybe when all else has failed ? Many chickens, many roosts…

[/quote]

Have you any evidence to support that allegation?

CEOs are sometimes in a difficult position and cannot tell the truth as it may be against regulations and laws, but MOL has always struck me as one of them more open CEOs and prepared to admit when Ryanair have got things wrong.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

MOL doesn’t help himself in creating harmony with his pilots..

https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/910802221738151936?

Edski777
    Participant

It seems the situation at FR is heating up. A group of pilots have send a letter to the FR board with demands for better pay and better contracts. Including pay while sick or on vacation and paid hotel accommodation when having to stay over at airports other than their base.
    Also the offer of a bonus to work during their holiday is tied to all kinds of restrictions. Pilots will receive the bonus in November 2018 if they accept that FR in the mean time can plan their vacation and that they will not be on sick leave for more than 4 days. It is also unclear if the bonus is before or after taxes. A further complaint is that FR doesn’t offer a pension scheme.
    Pilots also alleged that the FR management style is “management by fear”, a reason why many pilots either keep their mouth shut or are looking to leave when the opportunity arises. As many competitors are offering (much) better employment conditions many pilots seem to be considering these offers.

Now that the crisis in Europe is over and employment is on the rise shortages in experienced pilots seem to appear. Many airlines are expanding and the ones at the bottom of the remuneration ladder will be facing the lure of the better paying and more professional (in terms of HR) run airlines.

So far passengers have not turned their back on FR yet, but as the problems remain for a couple of weeks more, FR is faced with strikes on top of this and their reputation is furthermore tarnished it is uncertain what passengers will decide. After all: a low price is great, but if it becomes a lottery if you will arrive at your destination at the required day and time it becomes a whole different matter.

Lying to and scaring his personnel will prove not to be enough anymore. MoL and FR will have to adapt. We’ll wait and see if and when reality sinks in.

stevescoots
    Participant

I wouldn’t say the crisis in Europe is over, but that’s another subject

capetonianm
    Participant

I wouldn’t underestimate Mr O’Leary.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=828071]I wouldn’t underestimate Mr O’Leary.

[/quote]

Quite. Past performance is no guarantee offuture performance, buthe has a long and impressive career as a CEO.

At the moment, the air transport industry is in boom and pilots are in a strong position – this industry is cyclical and it wasn’t so many years ago that the boot was on the other foot – if one ortwo largish carriers go out of business (e.g. Air Berlin), then there may be an over supply of pilots and Ryanair could look more attractive.

Having said that, I don’t particularly like the way FOs are treated in Ryanair and empathise with them.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Will passengers walk away? absolutely – not. When the dust has settled the cheaper fares will draw people back. In fact I have just received an email from Ryanair offering “1,000,000 seats on sale now” so the fight back has already started. Consumers always have a choice but more often they choose not to . That said they did choose in the case of Ratner all those years ago the again this Ryanair episode isn’t Ratner – is it?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

There are new TV adverts that have just started.

I still don’t understand why passengers affected can not be re routed using the Ryan network, which I agree is very extensive. From my understanding, passengers are just being told turned away at airports with no offer of re routing. Surely not every Ryan aircraft is going at 100% capacity.

This situation also highlights the problems with Travel Insurance or rather the lack of benefits. For those of you that haven’t seen the press reports, some insurance companies are refusing to cover the cost of the pre paid elements of the trip such as pre paid hotels and car hire. My view is the insurance policy’s were likely purchased based on cost of the cover rather than benefits of the cover. You cant blame the insurance companies if passengers don’t bother to research what they are buying.

Passengers need to be educated about travel insurance policies…

I have read lots of comments that insurers are trying to wriggle out of their obligations, the

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Apologies if you have seen this before…

Spare a thought for poor ole Michael O’Leary, Chief Executive of Ryanair.

After arriving in a hotel in Manchester, he went to the bar and asked for a pint of Guinness.
    The barman nodded and said, “That will be £1 please, Mr. O’Leary.”
    Somewhat taken aback, O’Leary replied, “That’s very cheap,” and handed over his money.
    “Well, we do try to stay ahead of the competition”, said the barman. “And we are serving free pints every Wednesday from 6 pm until 8 pm. We have the cheapest beer in England”.
    “That is remarkable value”, Michael comments.

“I see you don’t seem to have a glass, so you’ll probably need one of ours. That will be £3 please.”
    O’Leary scowled, but paid up.

He took his drink and walked towards a seat. “Ah, you want to sit down?” said the barman. “That’ll be an extra £2. You could have pre-booked the seat, and it would have only cost you £1.”

“I think you may be too big for the seat sir, can I ask you to sit in this frame please”.

Michael attempts to sit down but the frame is too small and when he can’t squeeze in, he complains “Nobody would fit in that little frame”.
    “I’m afraid if you can’t fit in the frame you’ll have to pay an extra surcharge of £4 for your seat sir”.
    O’Leary swore to himself, but paid up. “I see that you have brought your laptop with you” added the barman. “And since that wasn’t pre-booked either, that will be another £3.”

O’Leary was so incensed that he walked back to the bar, slammed his drink on the counter, and yelled, “This is ridiculous, I want to speak to the manager”.

“I see you want to use the counter,” says the barman, “that will be £2 please.”

O’Leary’s face was red with rage. “Do you know who I am?”
    “Of course I do Mr. O’Leary.”
    “I’ve had enough! What sort of a Hotel is this? I come in for a quiet drink and you treat me like this. I insist on speaking to a manager!”

“Here is his e-mail address, or if you wish, you can contact him between 9.00 am and 9.01am every morning, Monday to Tuesday at this free phone number. Calls are free, until they are answered, then there is a talking charge of only £1 per second, or part thereof”.

“I will never use this bar again”.

“OK sir, but do remember, we are the only hotel in England selling pints for £1.”

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

It doesn’t stop. Ryanair has announced it will axe 34 routes until March 2018 causing a further 400,000 passengers problems. In the interim he has launched a scathing verbal assault on his pilots. A great case study on CEO disasters

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 82 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls