Ryanair and Brexit

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

Interesting report on Ryanair’s position (as an Irish airline) post-Brexit unless a hard-exit is avoided

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/apr/06/ryanair-uk-flights-brexit-deal-wto

Impact on millions of Leave voters – end of cheap stag/ hen flights? More expensive Med holidays?

Impact on the rest of us? Higher fares all round as a result of less competition?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

TominScotland – Thanks for posting.

Of course Easyjet faces a similar problem. It now operates many routes within the EU/mainland Europe.

http://news.sky.com/story/low-cost-airline-easyjet-close-to-landing-post-brexit-eu-base-10814831

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

EZY is establishing a majority EU-owned company based in the EU (which means some interesting questions for the status/location of Stallios’ shareholding) and it is planning to reregister and redeploy many of its aircraft so that they will no longer carry G-XXXX registrations. Owing to fears around the future of any EU/UK open skies arrangement, FR is flagging up very loudly the worst case scenario in which they would redeploy most of their hulls to continental Europe and away from the UK – with the loss of a certain number of UK jobs I daresay. Presumably, despite the silence on the matter, there is also a potential impact on Norwegian Air Shuttle’s plans for LGW as a main operating base. And IAG (BA’s parent company) is also going to be required to demonstrate who its shareholders are and what the proportions are of EU/non-EU shareholders.

What a complete and utter waste of time, effort and money. Thank you (not) to each and every Little Englander Brex**it voter.

The costs of everything required to enforce this exercise in self-harm knocks the bare-faced lie of the extra £350million each and every week for the NHS into a cocked hat.

openfly
    Participant

stevescoots
    Participant

I am more of a global Englander than a little one, so i take Brexit based slurs on the chin, I did not believe the 350 million , or the “its the end of the world” from the other side and made a calm rational decision based on my own thinking about long term future. Not “oh i might have to pay another 20 quid to fly to St Moritz this year, its the end of the world”

Think positive, if learyair and sleazy jet hike prices so the masses cannot afford to travel (which is rediculous in its self) then where would they spend that holiday money? here in the UK so quids in for UK tourism. Companies reposistion themselves all the time. Without sounding callous but playing the numbers game then I guess the raft of announcements over the past 9 months on investment into the UK would not offset a few of those job losses?. Apple, Facebook, google, IBM, Nissan to name the first that come strait of the top of my head and so easily forgotten by those who cannot accept the democratic result

PhilipHart
    Participant

canucklad
    Participant

This is all a bit of Michael O’Blarney bluster……..
    Regardless of whether you’re a Brexiter or a Remainer there is one constant in this political equation.

Capitalism!!

“Where there’s muck there’s Brass”

Airlines don’t give a damn about us, their behaviour is more akin to the Artful Dodger. Ready to pluck us clean of every last penny on our pockets.

If we are prepared to fly, they will be ready to pounce. And if EasyJet and Ryanair petulantly take their ball home, I’m sure Yorkshire’s excellent Jet2 will happily abide my their counties proverb!

PhilipHart
    Participant

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

PhilipHart:

A typical piece of Brextremist Panglossian “just believe us, it will all be for the best in the best of all possible worlds” fantasy.

I recognise, because there is so much of it about, that for Brexiters it is just so much easier to make ad hominem attacks on those who disagreed and continue to disagree with you. In the meantime, perhaps you and Openfly can provide a response that actually tackles the points made by O’Leary? Or would that be altogether just too difficult?

FaroFlyer
    Participant

I guess this should really be a Business Travel Forum, not a Brexit debate. The tone of a few posts is more typical of what you might see on general social media.

The Ryanair media hype came not from M O’L but from his CFO, seemingly in training to take over one day. His scaremongering is typical of the “old” Ryanair that, fortunately, has calmed down and generally become more professional. Other airline CEOs are not blustering, so take no notice of Ryanair posturing. They do it for publicity.

The problem with Brexit is that what started out as an “opinion poll” has ended up being taken totally seriously, as the Government did not think ahead and set minimum overall voting % and minimum for or against numbers. Thus we had a minority changing life for the majority.

I would have preferred to remain In, but what is done is done. The world will not end, nor will it stop. The scaremongering about Deal or No Deal is a little like the Millennium time bomb, when the World failed to stop at midnight, and computers kept working, airlines kept flying and banks kept charging.

openfly
    Participant

@AnthonyDunn…..this is Businesstraveller.com, not a website for moaning, disgruntled remainers.

PhilipHart
    Participant

@openfly you are spot on.

He was peddling the same remoaner drivel on another forum; which is why I asked him to cease and desist.

canucklad
    Participant

If you read the article and take it to Ryanair and Easyjets worst case scenario, then you have to consider the next question.
    What do you think is going to happen in Paris, The Hague, and Berlin when it becomes apparent that because the EU is playing silly beggars when negotiating an aviation policy post Brexit,they as a consequence are in the process of critically wounding the national airlines of 3 of their main members.

The ME3 will be relishing a negative outcome.

Sadly politicians on all sides are so stuck up their own intransigent arses, they can’t see a win win for all solution

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Please can we stop the Brexit invective?

It isn’t helpful and I support FaroFlyer’s comments:

I guess this should really be a Business Travel Forum, not a Brexit debate. The tone of a few posts is more typical of what you might see on general social media.

PhilipHart
    Participant

@FDOS_UK, if you care to re-visit forum topics immediately post-referendum, you will see that I was a very strong advocate for a Brexit-free discussion zone. My concern was that Brexit was a “marmite” topic, and my position hasn’t changed in the intervening period.

However, of late, there has been a noticeable increase in remoaner comment, and I believe it should be nipped in the bud.

As for @FaroFlyer’s observation that the referendum was an “opinion poll”, etc, etc, I’m afraid that this demonstrates a rather shallow grasp of the theory and practice of the democratic process.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls