Ryan diversion shifted to East Midlands (why….)

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

I know we discussed diversions a couple of months back, but I am curious why this emergency was shifted to East Midlands, causing flight and passenger disruption there.. instead of turning back to its point of departure, Stansted…

BREAKING Ryanair #FR7384 Boeing 737-800 lost a nose wheel after takeoff from London Stansted

The only reasons I could come up with:

1. Were the parts needed to replace the damaged nose wheel in situ at East Midlands.

2. Was the replacement aircraft being planned to take the passengers onto their destination, positioned at East Midlands

3. Was it published whether the pilot made a mayday or pan call…

4. Was there a choice by Ryan or the airport authorities, where to land this aircraft or did they consider which airport would suffer the least disruption

I accept the safety of the passengers is the Captain’s responsibility, but there is a decision process, even in an emergency….

capetonianm
    Participant

I doubt if 1) above would be the reason since they wouldn’t know before examination exactly what component needed to be replaced. Obviously a nosewheel, but there a number of other dependencies which would have been unknown.

I could understand a divert into a multi-runway airport in case the landing blocked the runway but as both STN and EMA are single runway, that wouldn’t apply. Perhaps simply that EMA is less busy than STN?

Given the potentially serious nature of the event, I doubt if passenger convenience would have been a major factor in determining where to land.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Doubt it was planned in much detail,probably pilot made PAN call and East Midlands was the least busy airport away from major population areas.
    Maybe the pilot was familiar with that airport and asked to divert there or the weather was good in that
    direction after the event?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls