Rip-off coach fares ex-LHR

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• openfly
    Participant

Friends arriving from CPT at LHR in Dec. They need transport to Winchester. National Express fare is £20 each one-way. The same bus originates from London Victoria with a fare of £5!! Can they join the bus at LHR with a London ticket?

Swissdiver
    Participant

UberX costed me GBP 60 this summer, GBP 20 for a bus ticket really looks like a rip-off. The cheapest option would be I guess tube to Victoria, costing GBP 6.

capetonianm
    Participant

I have queried this in the past and was told that National Express apply this surcharge to reflect what they have to pay for airport access. Whether it’s fair or not is another debate, but I can see the logic.

Flightlevel
    Participant

HAL (Heathrow Airport very Ltd.) charge 8% on everything sold at LHR so 300% sounds steep. They don’t have enough bus stops at LHR maybe that’s the reason. More like NationalX profiteering?

esselle
    Participant

Interesting comment about 8%. Do you know how it works? Thanks.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Not seen any contracts so legally heresay,told by retail and restaurant staff all sales pay 8% commission to HAL.
    Tickets pay differently pax and landing fees ofcourse and been said exchanges pay commission to airlines too.
    To be fair, understand new shops can open at low (or initially free rental?) to see if they make money whilst paying their 8%.

GivingupBA
    Participant

openfly, you said “Can they join the bus at LHR with a London ticket?” – I definitely would not attempt it, because I believe there’s a very good chance the company would not accept the ticket/ would declare the ticket to be invalid (as illogical as that may sound).

openfly
    Participant

@GivingupBA Thanks for that. I’m sure that you are correct. They will have to bite the bullet and get ripped off. Welcome to National Express!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls