Reading material with BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• frustratedflyer
    Participant

I flew to the US yesterday with BA and was planning to pick up a newspaper in the lounge or on the flight. Sadly the choice of newspapers was not a choice. Piles of The Sun everywhere but nothing else. Does BA seriously think this is the number one choice for their frequent flyers!!? Hopefully the piles of newspapers not being taken might make them think again.

Thankfully the Feb issue of BT was there which I had not read!!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Swiss and Lufthansa now send a link allowing you to download papers and magazines for your flight. Fine for a short flight but for a longer flight no good unless there is an inseat charger.

ontherunhome
    Participant

I also flew from T5 yesterday, and was surprised at the choice of newspapers, or rather lack of choice.Maybe though Snr. Cruz likes the Sun, and considers it a quality read, like the quality BA serves its clients. It will all end in tears. As a by, one member of staff said they’d been briefed that 2018 was the year of the customer, and BA planne dto listen to and provide for the customer. I had to duck, as all the flying pigs went by.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Even longhaul the reading material is poor, recently flew HKG a few times, only weird magasines and BT and Time and one woman’s magasine.
    Usual day old papers (ex Hkg) are ok ‘though not much choice. The J class food has improved and service too however little to read-always enjoy BT though!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I went through T5 (F) lounge on Saturday morning and my only complaint re the reading material was I needed to blag my way into the Concorde lounge to get February’s copy of BT.

The F lounge had a very wide range of papers and magazines in a few languages. The gate area had the usual DM, SUN and FT…

openfly
    Participant

BA only puts out freebie publications.
    You don’t honestly think BA will pay to give its premium passengers newspapers!
    They withdrew the Telegraph and Mail some weeks ago, from the UK lounges, because of the threat of having to pay for them.

TominScotland
    Participant

The pull-back on decent newspapers and magazines in lounges has been going on for some time now and not just BA are guilty.

KLM’s lounges at Schipol used to have a reasonable range of English language newspapers but these are long gone.

Those that remain (in other languages) are certainly not intended for removal.

I am going through T5 this week so will report back – I must say I have not seen The Sun there, or rather I have but it masquerades under the name of its sister paper, The Times.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

I don’t tend to look too closely but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a copy of the Current Bun in the F Lounge at T5.
    Never had an issue picking up any paper, and most of my visits are in the afternoon.
    Am pretty certain all the major papers were there on my last visit 2 weeks ago. Be interesting to see if there is a noticeable change when back there on Saturday.

rferguson
    Participant

Onboard longhaul fights the offering depends on whether it is a weekday or weekend. Weekdays we get The Telegraph, the i, FT, Times, NY Times (which replaced the WSJ). On weekends we only get The Telegraph, the i Weekend, and the Weekend FT. The help yourself displays at the top of the jetty bridges stock The Sun, The Times, FT.

In the F lounge i’ve seen a vast array of publications including many foreign ones.

The magazines we carry onboard include Time, Spectator, BT, Wallpaper, OK, Vanity Fair, GQ, Conde Nast, a few other random ones and sometimes destination/language specific ones on certain routes. Not all titles are supplied all the time either.

capetonianm
    Participant

Last time I flew business class, CPT-LHR and return, the assortment of reading material on board was a perfect match for the cabin interior and food offering.

A poor choice of a few dull and tatty dog-eared magazines, particularly noticeable on the northbound flight. It is a shame as it would cost so little to provide new ones when the old ones start to look tatty and have clearly been used as coffee cup rests!

The cabin crew go out of their way to be pleasant and helpful but are let down by the Peseta Pinching Basque’s cost cutting.

Flightlevel
    Participant

[quote quote=849998]
    The magazines we carry onboard include Time, Spectator, BT, Wallpaper, OK, Vanity Fair, GQ, Conde Nast. Not all titles are supplied all the time either.
    [/quote]
    I wish,we had Time,BT,and Wallpaper. Not much for 12 hour flight and no women’s magasines. Thank heavens for BT!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=850085]

The magazines we carry onboard include Time, Spectator, BT, Wallpaper, OK, Vanity Fair, GQ, Conde Nast. Not all titles are supplied all the time either.

I wish,we had Time,BT,and Wallpaper. Not much for 12 hour flight and no women’s magasines. Thank heavens for BT!
    [/quote]

I have a Kindle Unlimited account – £7.99 per month and able to ‘borrow’ and download up to 10 titles (books and magazines) consecutively.

If you have a 10″ tablet, it’s a good way of reading magazines when travelling.

Stowage222
    Participant

Lord King is spinning in his grave!

TominScotland
    Participant

Satisfactory selection of newspapers in GLA Lounge this morning: Times, FT, Scotsman, Herald, Evening Times. No Mail or Sun which is great.

Sorry to disappoint

Andrew
    Participant

Go to LHR First Class in Heathrow Express – they have free FTs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls