Qatar Airways Q Suite

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)

• esselle
    Participant

Flew on the new 773 LHR DOH last night. First time in their Q Suite and it is a big step up from their (and others’) J product.

Being enclosed, as it is, gives a great sense of privacy and the feeling of space is much enhanced. The bed is noticeably wider, as is the footrest.

Service and catering remain unchanged from the current product, but the seat is a game changer.

ArabTraveller
    Participant

The problem with QR is inconsistency. Not all B777s on the LHR route are fitted with Q-Suites, and indeed there is no way of knowing which B777 one will be on at the time of booking. Actually, last-minute aircraft changes are notorious on QR’s LHR route. This gamble ruins it for me.

esselle
    Participant

I think you will find that QR2 is always sold as having the Q Suite. That’s why I chose it over the later departure.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

I share the frustration, but how else is an airline to introduce a new innovative product if not stage by stage?

They can’t refurb all aircraft overnight.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=846462] …how else is an airline to introduce a new innovative product if not stage by stage?
    They can’t refurb all aircraft overnight.
    [/quote]

Certainly, they can’t do it all in one go. But it will be better if [1] they do it at a reasonable speed, not dragging it out over a decade or so; and [2] they announce the rollout schedule in detail. No. 2 will earn my respect.

ArabTraveller
    Participant

I completely agree.

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

The issue with most is that they don’t seem (could be good reasons) to concentrate on a sector with multiple daily flights such as LHR .
    So it can be months or longer before every aircraft servicing that route is upgraded. From a marketing stance yes it’s good to cover as many routes asap but that then leaves the issue of not all passengers enjoying the same benefits for the same cost.

njvilcassim
    Participant

Fully agree with the comment. Unlike EK where each and every flight from London is an A380, with QR it is a crapshoot. The last time I flew QR in December the 777 used seemed to be from another era – really horrible. Until QR can offer a consistent product, it will have to be another airline.

esselle
    Participant

Interesting comment, but unless you are willing to add to the overall journey time but flying over another port, the only direct choices from LHR are QR or BA. For me that makes it s very simple decision. And for now at least QR02 will always operate with Q Suites.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=846594]Fully agree with the comment. Unlike EK where each and every flight from London is an A380, with QR it is a crapshoot. The last time I flew QR in December the 777 used seemed to be from another era – really horrible. Until QR can offer a consistent product, it will have to be another airline.
    [/quote]

You didn’t fly a QR codeshare on BA, did you? 😉

njvilcassim
    Participant

No,it was QR to DOH and then another QR flight (this time a narrow body) to the final destination – no BA flight to that destination. An alternative to QR would have been EK and even if the service is less personal, the consistency and quality of the aircraft makes it a superior choice. That is what my next booking is for travel later this month.

CAI
    Participant

From personal experience and not guess-work (3 long-haul flights flown last year), BA are still using planes with ‘Old-Style’ WTP and Club World with old seats and entertainment system 5 years after the new version of WTP was introduced! I am sure that Qatar won’t take that long to introduce their Q Suites.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=846594] Until QR can offer a consistent product, it will have to be another airline.
    [/quote]

Totally agree and that’s the beauty of choice. If you don’t like QR’s current range of inconsistent seating, vote with your feet. Maybe then they’ll listen?

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=846465]

…how else is an airline to introduce a new innovative product if not stage by stage? They can’t refurb all aircraft overnight.

Certainly, they can’t do it all in one go. But it will be better if [1] they do it at a reasonable speed, not dragging it out over a decade or so; and [2] they announce the rollout schedule in detail. No. 2 will earn my respect.
    [/quote]

Ideally yes. But strict schedules create expectations that inevitably will not be met. Instead, they offer a variety of average to excellent seating product and pricing that is pretty competitive. If, understandably, this uncertainty isn’t good for each traveller’s personal needs then don’t use QR. So long as they’re not guaranteeing Suites and then failing to provide, there’s not much we can do as customers.

This is a major issue with new airline products. They get announced and then everyone gets excited and expects them next time they fly. The reality is different. The alternative is a lack of innovation where airlines like BA and others retain a boring seating product that’s consistent across the fleet but which everyone complains about anyway.

We frequent travellers do like to complain 😉

rodders
    Participant

Just tried the new Q-Suite on the A350-9 service from London to Doha (QR2) earlier this week.

I have also tried it on the 777 a few times over the past few months,(these were all day flights) but on the overnight service, it enabled me to try out the the mattress topper, pillow slip, White Co PJ’s (only medium available).

It’s got to be one of the best business class seats anywhere, what an enjoyable flight! I had seat 1k a rear facing one, and found enough room to sleep fully stretched out and on my front, rather than on my side, which is often the case on other carriers. The crew were very engaged (I know this was not always the case), and the on board service and IFE was top notch.

The T4 lounge was also a very nice start to my v short trip (I arrived back today on the A380 service)

The A350 is a great aircraft to travel on, the only slight niggle on QR is the lack of central aisle overhead bins, the plus side is this helps create a sense of space.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls