Qatar Airways B777-300ER (Config.1)

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

Departed LHR-DOH – then connected to Dhaka, There was no queue at the T4 premium check-in and I was sorted in minutes. I used the premium security and again there was no queue and I was through to air-side within 3 minutes.

I really love the QR lounge, it is my favorite lounge at LHR and even rate it above the Virgin Clubhouse. On arriving a host took my suitcase and gave me a cloakroom ticket and a wifi code.

I settled down on a settee and was offered food and drink. For now I just had a glass of Laurent Perrier champagne, and this was topped up by one of the hosts. After an hour I decided to eat something. I tried a few bits and pieces from the deli counter, followed by a line caught sea bass and finally chose a few mini desserts from the counter. I don't have a sweet tooth, but the puds were excellent especially a mini passion fruit tart, so good I wanted seconds, although there was none left on the counter, one of the hosts went to find some in the kitchen.

I was called to my flight and was queuing at the premium line, there was no one in front of me but the gate agent was looking down at his computer screen, when some passenger rudely walked past me and presented his boarding pass and swanned onto the plane, it wasn't the agents fault, but what a cheek.

Pre-departure and on take off I had a couple of glasses of the Jaquart champagne (Drappier was the rose on offer), this is where I lower my F&B rating. This champagne is poor in my opinion, it is inferior to anything QR serve in their LHR and Doha lounge. Last year on this route they were serving Billecart Salmon and Pol Roger.

After my three course meal in the lounge, I just didn't fancy eating anything straight away, but did ask for a corn soup and chicken kasper to be kept for my dinner, and to be served two hours before landing. I put on some music and fell asleep quite quickly. A FA woke me up a couple of hours before landing and asked if I wanted my dinner. I was still full and just asked for a juice and smoothie from the breakfast menu – both were excellent.

We landed on time and on deplaning, as a transit passenger was waved through straight to the terminal and avoided the additional security. I then had a +9 hour wait for my connection and spent it in the Al Moujan lounge and even managed some sleep in the nap room. I then had a shower, did some work in the business centre and dinned at the upstairs restaurant, which served great Billecart Salmon champagne.

Overall it was a great experience. My only slight issue and it is such a first world problem, is the poor champagne they serve on board. I even prefer the Castlenau they recently started to serve on-board BA Club Europe.

Review courtesy of Seatplans.com. Original review by user Slotski can be found here

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Interesting you mention this as on flights in J on EK and QR in the last 12 months I thought the champagne offered on board was of a lesser quality than served in previous years. I seem to recall Veuve once being served.

Should add that the bar on the QR A380 was serving Krug.

cotswoldsw
    Participant

Curious to know what you made of the seat? I booked J from OSL to SYD in a recent sale for £1,080 which will be 787 / 777… looking forward to the 787 legs but the 777 not so much. Does anyone know if and when any refresh is planned; and/or if my concern is unfounded?

slotski
    Participant

cotswoldsw – I have flown on the QR 787 and I found the seat on the 777 not as good, but sound enough as far as sleeping, IFE, storage etc. My only issue as a solo flyer on this occasion, was the 2x2x2 arrangement as I got the feeling my neighbour was uncomfortable with me consuming alcohol, I wasn’t drinking excessively, but the fact I was drinking at all. This sort of made me feel slightly uncomfortable. This is where I find the QR 787 and A380 J seat much more private. I have a few J class QR 777/A350/787 booked later this year with my wife, and as a couple find no problem with the 777.

paulkaz
    Participant

Cotswoldsw, if your flights are after june the 777 Doh Syd leg will be in the A380 with much improved seats and bar area.
    http://www.ausbt.com.au/qatar-airways-to-fly-airbus-a380-to-sydney-from-june?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=flipper&utm_campaign=home-flipper

cotswoldsw
    Participant

Thank you Slotski and paulkaz, most helpful. I’ll keep fingers crossed for the A380 (I had wondered if this might happen) and go back to my preferred seat by the window… I wouldn’t fancy 14.5 hours of having to climb over the person sat next to you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls