Qantas wants to operate Perth-Paris non-stop by end September

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Report in French media says that Qantas wants to star non-stop flights from Perth to Paris by the end of this coming September. [FR]

https://www.deplacementspros.com/Exclusif-Qantas-ouvrira-son-Perth-Paris-avant-la-fin-septembre-2018_a47388.html

Craig Bright

Quick update: Just heard back from a spokesperson for Qantas that this isn’t the case.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Not surprising. And, I always thought their second European destination will be Frankfort

capetonianm
    Participant

I suspect they will barely fill the LHR PER with good revenue traffic. Adding PAR will dilute.

KSHaggag
    Participant

I do believe traffic btw PER and CDG currently is rather slim ;QF here is targeting Paris as a European leisure and business destination for Aussies but the only way it can achieve a non stop operation is via the closest Australian gateway to Europe ;PERTH .

AF itself would not be bothered by such a traffic right since it is not interested in flying the Kangaroo route by all means .I just am hopeful there will be enough traffic to justify the route and make it sustainable on the long run .

EU_Flyer
    Participant

Given how reliant we’ve become on alliances, Paris doesn’t make much sense for QF. There arguably isn’t enough high yielding market to support daily services between Aus and Paris. And beyond Paris, it wouldn’t be straight forward for QF to do a deal with Skyteam member AF given QF’s existing tie up with Emirates.

There was talk, before Air Berlin becamed Etihadised and then collapsed, that Berlin might become a second QF hub in Europe (given that EK could get rights to fly there). That option is over now.

Also, as others have said, I wonder how sustainable the PER to LHR direct services are. The plane is totally uncomfotable for most people in all cabins except Business and the reviews have been largely negative. So I can’t see how Perth – Paris could be anything but PR spin at this stage.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

With the announcement that Qantas will restart a code-share with Air France suggests non-stop flights Perth-Paris CDG are canned for the time being.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/qantas-and-air-france-re-establish-codeshare-links-448818/

Rferguson2
    Participant

According to executivetraveller.com.au PER-CDG flights are back on the cards!

New longhaul destinations out of Perth on QANTAS have been stop/start/stop for years now due to the long going spat between the airline and the airport. This spat revolves around terminals that the flights operate from. Perth is made up of a number of terminals with the international and domestic terminals a fair distance from one another. QANTAS operates primarily a domestic operation from PER from Terminal 4 – although its MEL-PER-LHR service also has special dispensation to depart this terminal. QANTAS wants to operate more longhaul destinations – Jakarta, Jo’burg and even Paris – from PER. And this is where the debate has raged. QANTAS for obvious reasons want to operate these flights alongside their LHR flights from T4 which offers seamless connectivity onto its domestic flights and a built for purpose transit lounge for Business Class passengers and top tier frequent flyers. The airport disagrees, and says any new international flights must depart from Terminal 1.

QANTAS even went so far as to announce new services from PER to both Jakarta and Jo’burg late last year (I imagine in the hope that an ‘announcement’ would put pressure on the airport operator to back down from the T1 demand) but the flights were then cancelled and withdrawn from sale when the airport operator refused to shift on the T1 aspect. Apparently, it all comes down to biosecurity and immigration resources.

Well, it seems some progress has finally been made.

The new QANTAS CEO has reportedly been in new talks with the airport and apparently the two are about to announce that a new precinct will be built near T1 for ALL Qantas flights. Crucially for QANTAS however, in the meantime they will be able to operate their international flights from T3/4 until the new precinct is up and running. There are still biosecurity issues to address although Perth Radio station 6PR says a statement from Qantas/Perth Airport/WA Government will be on its way soon (source executivetraveller.com.au)

Rferguson2
    Participant

SYDNEY – PERTH – PARIS OFFICIALLY LAUNCHED!

4 x weekly from JUL 24 and will follow a similar pattern to the existing seasonal flight that operates SYD-PER-FCO.

3 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

So it’s finally happened … this thread was started in 2018 !

Naturally France’s aviation media is excited.

@airplusnews says PER-CDG non-stops will start on July 13.

Flight time will be 17 hrs 20 mins.

There will be four flights during the summer reducing to three flights a week all year round.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Rferguson2
    Participant

QANTAS has also announced that the current London – Perth – Melbourne route will have a shake up. The London – Perth route will continue as normal however the Perth – Melbourne sector will be axed. Passengers will still be able to transit in Perth onto a connecting flight to Melbourne in the same way passengers currently do flying London – Perth – Sydney/Adelaide/Brisbane etc.

I would imagine this will improve utilisation of the stretched 787 fleet. As it stands with Melbourne being the aircrafts final destination the 787 flies to Perth, then after a short stop on the ground on to Melbourne. It then lands in Melbourne around 20:30 where the aircraft then remains on the ground overnight until the following day.

I imagine the new timetable will allow the aircraft to land in Perth around midday as it does now and then turn around and operate the return flight to London around 18:45.

This will be bound to rile up a bit of the regular Melbourne vs Sydney rivalry as Sydney will now be the only east coast city with a ‘direct’ London flight.

cwoodward
    Participant

I will believe this flight is happening when I read that the first flight has taken place.

For the past many years this airline has announced and teased all manner of immanent new routes and initiatives very few of which have ever come to fruition or are likely to.

I do hope that this route actually happens though as it will enhance the Australian tourist business.

Rferguson2
    Participant

With Qantas’ history of announcing routes out of Perth that haven’t materialised you’d be wise to take that approach cwoodward.

However, in the past Qantas has announced routes without resolving the ‘which terminal’ issue in an attempt to force the airport operators hand and it was reported that the Qantas CEO and the Airport CEO had quite clashing egos. Both of these people have now been replaced and judging my the recent JOINT announcement from the airport and the airline I am quietly confident that things will move forward this time 😉

1 user thanked author for this post.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

As Alex says, a long time coming but some positive news from Qantas.
    It’ll be interesting to see which destination(s) QF adds next, with LHR, FCO & soon CDG all confirmed.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls